We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

ok--

I've read bad things about el paso and las cruces but we need to stop for the night smewhere near there. If it's that bad , should we keep driving?

If so, where should we stop west on the I-10 that might have a nice area to walk at night...maybe a historic and safe part of town?

thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

I don't know what "bad things" you are hearing, but being the only two decent sized urban areas along that stretch of I-10, they are your best bet for a clean, nice hotel room. Having spent much time in both places, I wonder what you are hearing. They are certainly no worse, and much better than many places east on I-10 (I am thinking San Antonio, Houston, Beaumont, Lake Charles, New Orleans, etc.)..

We are talking one night, right? I think you will get a good night sleep in El Paso or Las Cruces. You won't be sending your kids to school, looking for healthcare, worrying about future water supply, the ongoing drought, illegal immigration, or paying property taxes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Hi

You asked about the "bad things". Well, there are a few posts on trip advisor that paint both towns unfavourably...But, I'm not here to dwell on that.

Rather, I hoped to find info pertaining to my travel interests. (not schools, obviously)

I stated that in my original post that we seek to stay in an historic area of town that is safe to walk in after dark. We'll have done lots of driving and always appreciate a chance to stretch our legs and soak up some history or local beauty.

A uk advisor mentioned "Mesilla" as being nice. Would that be the town of La Mesilla, south of Las Cruces? Please tell me more...

If you/anyone happens to know: Please tell me about towns in the el paso/las cruces area that will provide what i'm looking for.

The TA forum has always steered me right and i appreciate you. :)

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Mesilla (a.k.a. La Mesilla) would be my choice, and appears to fit your requirements. Mesilla has a small town square/plaza and a few other interesting streets leading off from it. There are several good restaurants and a repertory movie house close by... and all of Las Cruces is a short drive from there.

My favorite place to stay in Mesilla, the Meson de Mesilla, is undergoing renovations, but you may want to contact them to see whether they will have accommodations available when you expect to be there (or whether they can suggest a good alternative).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

thanks so much for the meson tip. I will call them.

their website said renovations are underway, but like you said--maybe they can give me a substitute.

El Paso
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Yes the old " I have heard bad things" El Paso has way more Hotels and restraurants than Las Cruces, El Paso the 2nd safest city in the Nation, Las Cruces a peaceful place. If your just catching a night, West El Paso is more relaxed than the East side. N Mesa st. has Hotels and plenty of restraurants within walking distance. Las Cruces has a nice Hilton hotel, near by are many restraurants.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

hi everyone--and thanks for your replies. I have since taken the trip and enjoyed both cities.

cheers, regina

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Las Cruces would be my choice and stay in the La Mesilla area. There are a number of motel chain places there. The restaurants are great and since I was a kid when I visit Las Cruces I have to eat at La Posta.

Walking at night in any city requires one to be alert. I never have felt that in La Mesilla. Visit oldmesilla dot org for more info!

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

I can't tell you much about El Paso, but Las Curces is a great place. You can stay anywhere there and feel safe. Your only criteria should be how much you want to spend. Hotels range from a Hilton to a Motel 6.

LC has some nice places to spend some time. La Mesilla which borders LC is a sweet place. Historic square with lots of shops and cfrats/art stores. If you are interested in jewelry visit Silver Assets. The people there are great and their prices reasonable.

Where US route 70 crosses the Rio Grande there is a nice park called La Llandrona. Picnic tables, wlaking trails along the river, playscape for little children, etc. Nice spot.

If you should be there on a WED. or SAt. AM visit the Farmer's Market in the Downtown Mall. Lots of food and arts/crafts. Las Cruces is a great place. Stay there and enjoy a great city with wonderful people. We have been there many times and have never had any trouble at all.

Hobbs, NM
Level Contributor
15 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

Don't be afraid of Las Cruces. I have spent a great deal of time there over the years. I was there last week and stayed at the La Quinta - Organ. It is just across I-10 from La Mesilla. There are nice places to eat and walk around the plaza. You might even find some Judge Roy Bean ( the law west of the Pecos) facts that will interest you.

10. Re: Las Cruces, El Paso or nearby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 01, 2009