We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

Spring Grove...
Level Contributor
8 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

We will be visiting Las Cruces, NM on 9-11-2014 and interested in going to the "Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument’s". I understand that this is a new National Monument, as of May 2014, and looking for input on how to get there and things to see or do. I have read that the area includes Petroglyphs, Archeological Sites, part of the Butterfield Stage Trail, Billy the Kid’s Outlaw Rock and Geronimo’s Cave... This all sounds so interesting, but I can't find any information on how to "GET TO" these sights. Please HELP!

Thank You!

Road Traveler from Illinois

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

The park just received its designation, and nothing has been developed at this time. There are some trails that have been there for some years, such as the Dripping Spring Trail, but there are no facilities, no visitor center, and no other access. All of this is probably going to take several years to fully complete.

Other than one or two trails, and some camping, the only access is US 70 through the mountains between Las Cruces and Alamogordo.

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

There are facilities and a visitor center at Dripping Spring.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,394 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

I wonder if the OP even got that, far... carracar

4. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, March 08, 2017