We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental

Which Las Cruces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Cruces NM
3 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Rental

I want to rent my home in Las Cruces New Mexico for vacation property. Can anyone give me good advice on how to do it.

Is it better to use a property manager or try to do it myself.

I do not live close to my vacation property and cannot visit it on a weekly or monthly bassi maybe a couple times a year

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental

I would recommend you check out:

www.vrbo.com

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental

It's so much better to get a property manager than to try to run things yourself. One big reason is that if your insurance co. finds you were renting out the property while living out of town (or even at some distance in the same town), they WILL refuse coverage if something happens. But most insurance companies don't mind rentals if you let them know in advance what you're doing and provide documentation that the building is managed by a local company. (If the property is uninsured, don't even think of renting it out. People are really careless, especially on vacation, and damage and accidents will happen.)

Most management companies only charge 10% of the rent for long-term rentals, but they'll expect a regular fee and a percentage if they're hired to manage a vacation property (just because those properties tend to sit empty for long periods and then require lots of management when they are rented). I guess you'll have to ask yourself if you'll get enough business to make it worth your while to hire management?

It might be worth doing some research into the companies relocating to the Mesilla valley area to do business with the border factories. They may want to rent your house for temporary visitors or employee housing. Maybe the NMSU housing and/or HR departments would be able to offer suggestions, too.

Good luck!

3. Re: Vacation Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 11, 2011