We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio Hot Springs

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
San Antonio Hot Springs

Does any one have any information on the trail leading up to San Antonio Hot Springs? Some places I've checked say you can drive up to the springs, others say you have to hike the 5 miles. Does anyone know what kind of trail it is? Can/is it allowed to bike it? Thanks for the info!

28 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

You stirred my curiosity since I like nearby camping and know that the Seven Springs fish hatchery is also nearby. But never been to the spings.

First this: findaspring.com/san-antonio-hot-spring-jemez… Confused by statement about end of road and link to map location shows spot as only 5 miles and ends nearby someone's house.

Forest Service says 6 mile drive on forest service road.

Another source said 10 minute walk from parking area.

Saw some nice youtube vids on springs. Then found this AVD description that has some comments and photos that may answer:

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php…

Also found this and copied:

SAN ANTONIO HOT SPRINGS [SANA]: Also deep in the Santa Fe National Forest but 5 miles up a very rough road (will require a high clearance vehicle), San Antonio is a spectacular hot springs, with about 4 rock pools down the side of a mountain overlooking a scenic vally and with a very large flow of clear, hot water. This is a primo hot springs! PHOTO. LAT, LON :lat=35.9383, lon= -106.6454(source: Soak.net files) (accuracy:exact) LINK TO GOOGLE MAP Verifed, 9/02. Very confident. To get here, go west on RT 4 from Jemez Falls, then turn right onto RT 126. Follow RT 126 a few miles to where FR 376 (see sign) comes in from the left. FR 376 continues across RT 126 but there is no sign on the right side. Go right here on FR 376 past a gate (may be closed at night) up a very rocky, rough road (that doesn't get very much smoother as you go up it further).

If your vehicle can make this road, it is about 5 miles up where the road drops down into a small valley and clearing past 2 cabins on the right (where you will probably see cars parked). Park then walk across a wooden bridge and take a short but steep climb up to the springs on the right. If you can't get your vehicle up this road, you could hike the 5 miles up the road, but you are supposed to be out by sunset. (I hitchhiked up this road in 9/02 as I didn't have a high clearance vehicle. There is not much up here but the hot springs and folks may pick you up rather quickly.) It is a great hot springs, worth finding a way up! Verifed, 9/02. Very confident.

Interestingly, the map link shows same spot as other map link.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

This is great. That second link was incredibly helpful with the pictures and directions on how to get there! Thanks so much. I still can't decide if that road is very bike friendly or not. I think it could be done, but might be a bit rough. The springs look so gorgeous and worth the trouble of getting to them! Thanks again for the info!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

I had an experience near Durango on an old road that lead to a fishing lake. I dropped off a couple of mountain bikers on the road and drove ahead in my (high clearance) 4WD toward the trailhead. Even though I had heard some mountain bikers biked the road, I noticed the climb, the ruts and the rocks got increasingly worse, so I back tracked and picked them up. It would have been a tough 3 miles for them. I thought I noticed some comments in the ATV link with the pics that some commentators were hesitant to do road on ATV. The author had a beat up truck to navigate the road. Perhaps you are without high clearance vehicle, so need to consider hiking, biking or (someone else suggested) hitching. BTW, I think there is a San Antonio campground, too. I agree it looks like a good spot.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

I should say the Durango road, an old, abandoned stage coach route I think, looked far worse than the pic the author provided with the note about embedded rocks. I can't vouch for the link, but the pics seem reliable.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

Yeah, we don't have a high clearance vehicle so that's our problem. We're fine with hiking, but are trying to fit as much into our day and a half trip to the Jemez area and thought we could cut down time if we could bike the trail. It seems like going on foot is the best way.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

I've driven that road to San Antonio hotsprings in a sedan. It's pretty much your run of the mill forest road. It's pretty washboard, but by no means a 4x4/high clearance road. As I recall, you can't go quite all of the way to the hot springs...maybe a 1/2 mile to 1 mile walk from area where everyone parks.

I know that the forest service does close the road for the winter...not sure when they open it back up. Also, the forest service did close the road to vehicular traffic at one point as part of their rejuvination project (same time frame as when they put up the fences and what not along the forest road from the Gillman Tunnels)....I'm not sure if/when they re-opened as I have spent the last few years primarily camping and recreating in the Cuba ranger district of the Jemez.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

Also, a mountain bike would not be too much of a problem. As I recall, there is not a lot of climb....and like I said, I did this road by sedan once upon a time with no issue.

As a side note, as an avid "boondock" camper, I traverse many of these roads and often read things on-line that say, "4x4 or highclearance.....rough road, etc." Often times, they are being either overly cautious or have not updated those descriptions. One case in point.....I went to the Rio Chama Canyon Wilderness area (out by Christ of the Desert Monastery) last year. I read all kinds of reports and warnings about the road being very rough....no RVs (I was to be towing my pop-up)....etc. We determined to give it a try anyway with the idea that if the road was too rough for the camper, we'd turn around and camp somewhere else. The road was comletely fine and there were numerous RVs camped there for MM Day weekend last year. We were towing, so using our SUV....but the road would have been easily passable by sedan.

Edited: 5:35 pm, April 17, 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

Thanks for the info NMdesertdriver! That's really helpful. The car we're taking is a sedan and it's good to know that it might make it. I can't wait to get those springs. They look so beautiful and relaxing. Thanks again for all the info, everyone!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

I'm glad NMdesertdriver came in with some first-hand knowledge. I'm adding this to my to-do list.

I know what you mean by the overcautious statements but once in a blue moon you meet a road that is truly impassable. I think I have been on the Chama road you speak of and I recall it was only scarey right after a rain, when it became slick.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio Hot Springs

Another note.....as the pics indicate in the forum, there is quite a bit of embedded rock....just take 'er easy and you'll be fine (I don't think a HC vehicle is necessary, but at the same time I wouldn't do it in a low profile sports car either....leave the Porsche at home :). I forgot about the road splitting at the end....yes, take the high road if you do not have a clearance vehicle. It's all coming back to me now.

I'll be curious if the forest service has re-opened that road from the re-juvenation project. I'll be up that way first weekend of May to do some camping up FR314 past the Seven Springs Hatchery.

Reply to: San Antonio Hot Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jemez Springs