We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late arrival

Which Gallup hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
late arrival

As part of our route 66 trip next summer we will be having one night in gallup at el Rancho. I know it is around one mile walk to nearest bars on coal street but a couple of questions,

Is that one mile walk ok to do at night and as we won't be arriving till about six pm, will any of the trading posts still be open?

Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late arrival

As your probably arriving from the East, on AMTRAK ... Hope for a available cab, as the station is the some distance... Hold the cab while you check in & go back to center... You then, can decide if you want to hazard the walk back... As your probably in town for 24 hrs, "trading post" hours are not a issue ... carracar

Edited: 10:27 am, August 31, 2013
Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late arrival

Thanks cataract, we are actually driving but would like a beer or two, when you say hazard the walk back- could you elucidate please!!?

Thanks

Ali

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late arrival

I have stayed at El Rancho many times and would not walk that route. Not a lot of open businesses and dark streets with uneven sidewalks and some rundown motels. I have asked a friend of mine (Gallup law enforcement officer) for up to date information on this area.

You may want to drive downtown for dinner and then head back to the hotel for some beers.

The bar at El Rancho can be fun. route66hotels.org/a-classic-route-66-bar/ http://www.esquire.com/bestbars/bb-49erLounge

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: late arrival

Alibabe I sent you a private message with response from my police officer friend.

Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late arrival

Thanks very much both for the good advice. The bar in El Rancho is indeed looking inviting!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: late arrival

Gallup trading posts typically close at 5 or 6 PM and open between 9 and 10 AM. A couple of the more souvenir-oriented shops near Exit 26 on the east side of town may stay open later. Richardson's on Rt 66 is a must visit, to see its historic museum-like interior if nothing else, although they tend to carry more higher-end items. I like First American Traders at the east end of the 3-block-long main stretch of trading posts on Rt 66 (Richardson's is at the west end), but am less fond of the other posts on that stretch. Off Rt 66, the largest trading posts are Shush Yaz, Ellis Tanner, and Perry Null (in no particular order), and I enjoy shopping at all three.

Reply to: late arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted