We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

Tucson, AZ
2 posts
Save Topic
Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

Never use Expedia.com to makes reservations, it's a scam and hotel employes know about it even If they act like they don't.

We had made a 2 day reservation through exedia.com but we decided we wanted to cancel our reservation for the secon day to go camping. "Conveniently" no cancelation policy could be found on Expedia.com. The Phone number for La Quinta Inn provided by Epedia.com "Conveniently" say so. While we are driving across the state I used Google 411 (1-800-466-4411) to get the phone number for La Quinta I got through to someone at the La Quinta main office almost right away. The La Quinta representative that i spoke with WAS able to find my reservation when I gave him the name the reservation was under. But.... He could not cancel my reservation he told me that i had to do that at the specific hotel the reservation was made at.

When I was told this I asked for the number for that location right away. I was given the number for the La Quinta in Farmington New Mexico, I called the number and when I tried to make the cancelation this time I was told that to make the cancelation for the seond day I would have to befor 4:00pm that day to meet their 24 hour cancelation policy. I told them that would be fine and that was why I was calling, it was 10am and I would not make it to Farmington NM untill 10pm so I made it clear that I was calling to cancel the second day becuse I would not make it there by 4pm. Before I hung up I even had him tell me back that he understood i would still be there that night but I wanted to cancel the 2nd day.

When we arrived at the La Quinta I was not surprised, but the 2nd day didnt get cancelled. The guy at the front desk then told me we had to do the cancellation through expedia, Iasked to speak to the manager and I asked for the guy i talked to on the phone by name because i wanted him to tell the manager what he told me.

The next morning the manager was not in so we went out to see the sites. when we returned around 5pm I found the same guy that i talked to on the phone and he was offly quick to tell me that he mentioned to me on the phone that I had to make the cancelation through expedia. As Soon as he did this I replied "no you did not say anything about canceling through if you would have i would have gotten on my blackberry and done it right then, but because you told me it was canceled I thought it was taken care of. This is obviously a scam!" when I said this the employee then said hold on let me talk to you not infront of the camera. He then walked with me out of the site of the camera and told me about how not to use expedia because you will be paying for the service.

SO NEVER USE EXPEDIA.COM ONCE THEY GET AHOLD OF YOUR PAYMENT INFO THEY MAKE IT NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE CANCELATIONS AND GET YOU MONEY BACK. IN MY OPINION THIS IS A SCAM IT IS WRONG AND IT IS JUST THE SAME AS STEALING TO ME. SO tONIGHT I AM STUCK IN THIS HOTEL INSTEAD OF CAMPING UNDER THE STARS BECAUSE THE LIED AND DID NOT MAKE THE CANCELATION I AS TOLD THEY DID!!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

I'm not sure why you were unable to find Expedia's cancellation policy-- I found it in their "Expedia, Inc. Web Site Terms, Conditions, and Notices" page under the heading "Prepaid Hotel Reservations." The URL is:

www.expedia.com/daily/service/legal.asp

The sections relevant to your situation are as follows:

"You acknowledge that Expedia pre-negotiates certain room rates with hotel suppliers to facilitate the booking of reservations on your behalf. The room rate displayed on the Website is a combination of the pre-negotiated room rate for rooms reserved on your behalf by Expedia and the facilitation fee retained by Expedia to compensate us for our services."

"You may cancel or change your prepaid hotel reservation, but you will be charged the cancellation or change fee indicated in the rules and restrictions for the hotel reservation. If you do not cancel or change your reservation before the cancellation policy period applicable to the hotel you reserved, which varies by hotel (usually 24 to 72 hours) prior to your date of arrival), you will be subject to a charge of applicable nightly rates, tax recovery charges and service fees. In the event you do not show for the first night of the reservation and plan to check-in for subsequent nights in your reservation, you must confirm the reservation changes with Expedia no later than the date of the first night of the reservation to prevent cancellation of your reservation. You must make refund requests for no-shows or early checkouts within 60 days after checkout.

You agree to pay any cancellation or change fees that you incur. In limited cases, some hotels do not permit changes to or cancellations of reservations after they are made, as indicated in the rules and restrictions for the hotel reservation. You agree to abide by the terms and conditions imposed with respect to your prepaid hotel reservations."

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

When you pick your dates and hotels, the specific cancellation policy for your hotel will come up as a colored wording that say cancellation policy. When you click on it the information will drop down with the hotel's cancellation policy and also the instructions for cancelling on Expedia's website and also Expedia's phone number for cancelling or changing the reservation as you were trying to do. The important thing is that on all prepaids whether Expedia, Travelocity, etc - they must be cancelled thru the booking site.

It's always good to print these out and take them with you. Another suggestion - play with these websites and practice using them before you buy from them. Do some fake bookings up to the part where you pay so you can familiarize yourself with them.

3. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, February 02, 2016
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

I have booked via Expedia many times, including a few times when I had to cancel or change my reservation. No problems with any of my reservations and lodging was just as promised.

Sorry you had a difficult time. You could have gone camping anyway, and just left the room.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

I like Expedia too. Sometimes you can pay a slightly higher rate to get a cancellable hotel; sometimes the deal is much better to book non-cancellable. If a hotel I really want has only a non-cancellable rate on Expedia (or one of the other discounters) I call/email the hotel directly to see if they will match the rate with the normal 24/48 hour cancellation policy.

Unfortunately when one becomes an adult, one has to read the fine print and take steps to avoid putting themself at a disadvantage, rather than expecting to be hand held and coddled through life. The vendor is rarely going to call you and say "are you sure you dont want to cancel our service?"

and, did you know IAC who owns tripadvisor also owns Expedia?

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

Not to be nitpicky, but IAC spun Expedia off and it is its own business. Hotels.com, TripAdvisor and some other companies all fall under Expedia, Inc.

So, to the OP, if you hate Expedia you are posting on it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

be as nitpicky as you want - I cant keep this stuff straight! Before the economy crashed I dreamed of working at IAC.... Cool HQ right on the river - and I could walk from home in 5 minutes.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

I've never used anyone except Expedia, and never had a problem yet. I'm sorry you did, but it all seems to be from a misunderstanding as to the "terms" of your reservation.

I did "once" arrive at my hotel booked through Expedia, and found they wanted to charge me the "full" price, not the discounted price quoted me on Expedia, but after checking (as was mentioned above)...WITH Expedia...the lower price was granted to me. As dependent as we've all become on computers, it is still the "human factor" that causes problems at times.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

In fact, I once got stuck in a snowstorm in NYC and had to cancel a hotel in Panama that was booked via Expedia after the cancellation time ended (because I was stuck at LaGuardia trying to get out!) and they let me rebook without any fees.... I never expected them to be so flexible.

Tucson, AZ
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Never Use Expedia.com!!! It's a Scam and hotels are in on it

Well it sure looks like some people FROM expedia have made some posts!! but either way expedia.com is a rip off and you will pay for it if you use it! I recomend that if you find a reservation through expedia.com just bypass them and call the hotel yourself and cut the middle man out. But dont use the hotel phone numbers that expedia.com give out because noone ever seems to answer those numbers, i recomend using infrmation or google 411 (1-800-466-4411) to get a phone number for the hotel that is actually a real number. hope this helps some people not get ripped off!!