We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife in May

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife in May

Hi guys I am coming from Australia to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso area mid to late May,staying at Cloudcroft.just looking fir best areas to view wildlife.What annimals am I likely to see at this time of the year?Also is there any area which is good for hummingbird viewing? Thanks all for your help in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife in May

Deer and maybe Elk if you are lucky. There are Black Bears, but seeing them is pretty rare. There isn't a whole lot of wildlife in the area, actually. Locals might have some ideas for locating wildlife. I know, for example, that there was a place that was common to see Black Bears eating out of a dumpster a few years back when I was staying in Ruidoso.

Not sure about humming birds. You occassionally see them by chance in the lower elevations where I live. I'm not sure about Cloudcroft or Ruidoso. Your best bet with humming birds is to find someone who has a feeder.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife in May

On the way to the mtns. one is apt to spot Antelope on the plains... carracar

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife in May

You would just be lucky to spot a Black Bear. Most of the wildlife is pretty shy most of the time. For the best chance at spotting a Mule Deer, or Elk, try slowly driving the highway south of Cloudcroft to Sunspot, with its solar observatory. Just before sunset, or just after sunrise would be optimum.

Hummingbirds abound in the Sacramento Mountains around both Cloudcroft and Ruidoso. You would need to find feeders for closeups however. If you have a cabin (many in Ruidoso, some in Cloudcroft), you might want to buy your own feeder. You would probably have customers in an hour or two.

Contact "The Bird House" retail store in the village of Cloudcroft. They sell bird supplies, and could also tell you from their local's knowledge the best places to go...maybe other animals also.

E-mail: thebirdhousecloudcroft@yahoo.com

they also have a Facebook site, but I don't have it at hand at the moment.

Enjoy your visit!

Edited: 12:48 pm, February 24, 2012
Reply to: Wildlife in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cloudcroft