We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astronomy Inn?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Astronomy Inn?

My husband read in an astronomy magazine a year or so ago that there was an Inn or B&B that had telescopes set up for their guests. He can't find the magazine that reviewed the place.

We are interested in Astronomy, biking (mtb and road)and a small town. We're not interested in the New Age and Alien kind of stuff. We get way too much of that here in Sedona, AZ.

Is/are any place that cater to astromomers?

Or, perhaps we could stay somewhere and visit/view/talk with other astronomers amature or professional?

Price isn't really an issue.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astronomy Inn?

There is a B&B outside of Las Vegas New Mexico called Star Hill Inn www.starhillinn.com (but I could not get site to work) According to reviews here on TA, it should still be open.

Here's their address/phone:

P O Box 707

Sapello, NM (near Las Vegas) 87745

505-425-5605

There also is a place in Arizona .. Astronomer's Inn in Benson AZ www.astronomersinn.com

We have a 6" Dobsonian, great for the moon, planets and we are just beginning to teach the teen to find other objects.

Hope this helps some.

Visit Kitt Peak Observatory in Tucson too, as well as the observatories outside of Cloudcroft NM. A visit to the VLA (Very Large Array) west of Socorro NM is interesting too.

I'm a science teacher, the daughter and granddaughter of astronomers, love the skies!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astronomy Inn?

City of Rocks State Park, mid-way between Silver City and Deming, has a telescope with a monitor hooked up to it. They conduct star parties a couple of times a month; you'll want to check with them for dates. The park has about 10 full hookup RV spaces out in the open, plus nearly 50 campsites scattered among the rocks.

Some of the darkest skies in the US are in New Mexico, and some of the darkest skies in New Mexico are at City of Rocks!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astronomy Inn?

I read about the Astronomers Inn in Benson a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure where. But I have the feeling that that's what your husband saw as well. There are a lot of cool little B&Bs and inns all over Cochise County.

Austin, TX
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Astronomy Inn?

You are probably thinking of New Mexico Skies 16 miles from Cloudcroft.

http://www.nmskies.com/webpage/

5. Re: Astronomy Inn?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cloudcroft