We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough sea in october

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rough sea in october

How rough is the sea in october? Is planing to take the hydrofoil from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia, with our to small children aged 4&1. But will it be like taking a rollercoaster or...? Another option for us is to take the shorter trip to Ha Tien, and from where go to Rach Gia, and afterwards to Can Tho

8 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough sea in october

Hi,

Take the route to Ha Tien instead (about 1/3 of the time to Rach Gia). The sea is going to be less and less rough towards the end of the year in the area, however traveling by bus to Rach Gia is also better.

Matthew Duong

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough sea in october

A third option is to avoid the hydrofoil altogether and take a flight from Phu Quoc to Can Tho directly.

Really depends on your timeframe and planned itinerary. I assume you are heading onward to Saigon afterwards, Vung Liem and Ben Tre are great stopovers along the way.

Cheers

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough sea in october

Okay, thank you for you reply!

Well I know there is a flight from Phu Quoc to Can Tho, but we would love to se some more of Vietnam going with local transportation...

But you would advise us to take to Ha Tien and from where to Rach Gia and Can Tho?!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough sea in october

Well it wouldnot be a option for us to book in HCMC, we will arive to Can Tho and from where going to HCMC. I know it would be cheaper going by bus, but we have travelled a lot by bus at that point of our journey, so would like to have some more private.

But where will be reliable options in Can Tho and book from where?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough sea in october

Jesper,

Are you flying into Can Tho from Singapore, Thailand, or Cambodia, one of those countries, right?

Sai Gon (HCMC) is to the Northeast of Can Tho, 166km by road.

Rach Gia is to the west of Can Tho, 106km by road.

Ha Tien is to the northwest of both Can Tho and Rach Gia.

It is 88km from Rach Gia by road.

Phu Quoc is an island off the coast of Ha Tien.

The hydrofoil from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc takes about 1-1/2 hr.

The trip from Rach Gia takes about 2-1/2 hr.

If you travel the 194km trip Can Tho - Rach Gia - Ha Tien, you will need to back-track to go to Sai Gon.

This trip is about 366km; it will require some 6-1/2 hours plus rest.

Flight service is only available from Rach Gia to Sai Gon.

(There's no airport in Ha Tien.)

You can do a google search for car rental in Can Tho to get to a few websites you can inquire for a general idea of cost. When you arrive into Can Tho, you can book a car through your hotel, directly with a local car rental company (whose driver may not speak Vietnamese), or arrange with a local travel agency in town for a car and a tour guide.

Can Tho is the biggest city west of Sai Gon, you can find travel agencies easily.

Perhaps you can travel to Ha Tien then back to Rach Gia to catch a flight to Sai Gon. The driver can go back to Can Tho by himself.

A seven-seater is not all that costly as you have a party of four (I presume), and with children, I think it's the way to go.

Have fun planning.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough sea in october

Thank you so much for your very patient and nice reply.

I just noticed that I had mixed up one off my former post (regarding 'booking in HCMC).

What I actually was looking for, was a answar of the best way to get from Phu Quoc to Can Tho with local transportation (without flying).

As I see I have to options:

1) Hydrofoil Phu Quoc - Rach Gia, and bus Rach Gia - Can Tho

2) Hydrofoil Phu Quoc-Ha tien, bus Ha tien-Rach Gia-Cantho

But wich of these options will be the best way? Especially i'am interessted in how rough the sea is in end of october, and therefore if we should take the longer hydrofoil to Rach Gia or taking the shorter hydrofoil trip til Ha Tien and from there the longer bus journey

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough sea in october

In a way, you have answered your own question.

You can decide when it gets closer to the date.

The heavy rainfall in Phu Quoc is between July and the early part of October.

There's still a chance of a storm all the way through November, but the later into the year, the lesser the chance.

Here's the monthly wind condition in Phu Quoc (on the average):

windfinder.com/windstats/windstatistic_duong…

Notice that it gets significantly better in October.

With a one-year old, I suggest the shorter boat ride.

There's another option, but it takes longer.

The car/passenger ferry (Thanh Thoi or Thriving ferry).

The port it departs from in Phu Quoc is about 40km plus from Duong Dong town.

The Thriving-I takes about 3 hours and the Thriving 2 takes about 2 hours.

Both have AC.

The T1 started operation in 2011, while the T2 just started this June.

http://hatienphuquoc.net/?id=31&ma=7393

thanhthoi.com/index.php/…online-booking.html

Cost is roughly $9 per person.

The arrival times on that website are kind of odd; it shows inconsistencies between the two locations.

At any rate, these ferries are heavier and they go slower, so they are better against the waves.

You can ask the people in Phu Quoc (there are expats who own business there) regarding experience with children on the hi-speed hydrofoil and make your own decision.

It's off-peak season, so tickets should be easily available.

Edited: 10:06 pm, August 20, 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough sea in october

Thank you so much ones again:-)

Reply to: Rough sea in october
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rach Gia