We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

My wife and I intend to visit Phu Quoc in November and will probably stay at a B&B, without a pool.

Having experienced poor water quality at other popular resort towns, we are concerned whether it is safe to swim anywhere along Long Beach?

I acknowledge other posts about rubbish on the beach, however am only concerned about water quality - in other words, does the island's sewage discharge anywhere near this area?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Don't stress John,

The odd coconut or plastic bag floats by the same as it does on Sydney beaches. The water is beautiful but if the breeze comes up, head down to Sao beach and you will be amazed at the perfection of the water and beach.

We are heading back in May for the 4th time and staying at a little family run resort called Phuong binh house. It might suit your needs and it is in a good location with beach bungalows. It is a no-star resort :-)

Mark

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Thanks Mark - we are considering Phuong Binh house and Rocosy resort.

Enjoy you holiday in May!

John

Devon, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

We were at Long Beach last Dec, the water was clean but there were a lot of jelly fish. The food at Phuong Bin is great and very reasonably priced.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
16 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Hi john

Just returned from 'nam and had 5 days on Long Beach. There were very few swimmers because of the said jellyfish. The sting is quite harmless and not that painful. At first I thought it was heat rash! You cannot see the jellyfish, they are tiny but apparently they thrive because of the effluent. Enough said? The sea is very cloudy compared to elsewhere on Phu Quoc.

In short, it is safe but you may not want to.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Hey Alwayslooking

You seem to be adding this stuff to all the Phu quoc posts and if that is your experience, so be it, but. Please don't tell people that there are stinging jellyfish that feed on the effluent coming from the river as that is wrong. If you are a Marine biologist or similar I may stand corrected but jellyfish feeding on local effluent is simply scaremongering.

I live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and grew up in a place called Byron Bay and surf regularly so I feel that I know beaches, tidal movements etc... pretty well. We have regular occurrences of jellyfish, bluebottles etc...and they certainly don't thrive on the local effluent. The litter you talk about can be found on any high tide mark in the world and can arrive at that location from thousands of miles away. The water clarity you mentioned can be affected by swell, tides, ocean currents, wind, geology, etc... and does not reflect the existing beach environment.

Sorry for your experience but you should only comment on facts, not assumptions. IMHO :-)

Mark

West Sussex
Level Contributor
16 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Hi Mark.

No I'm not a marine biologist hence the word "apparently" as that is what we were told by the locals. Also water north of Duong Dong was clearer and no jellyfish. They also said it gets dirtier as you get closer to the estuary too, that too was our experience. I don't know why, do you?

It was a small part of my post. As I say they are pretty benign. Plus it is a fact that few people were swimming compared to Bai Sao.

As for rubbish, I've been to beaches all over the world and not seen litter like this anywhere else, ever.

Sorry if that disappoints but I say it as I see it.

Mentioned in this post
Duong Dong
Duong Dong
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
kiddy
Level Contributor
426 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

I am on long beach at the moment and people are coming out of the water complaining about almost what you could call tiny pinpricks/stings .There is no rash to see and cannot see anything in the water .Does this occur very often?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

We stayed at Freedomland. The beach nearby was Ong Lang. The water was perfectly clear, the beach went on forever. It was beautiful after the hustle and bustle of HCMC.

It was a bit of a walk to the beach from the little resort, but well worth it. The information says 12 minutes, but maybe we are not as young as we used to be.

There were a few lounges and umbrellas and a drinks man from the resort who rode his motorbike back with your lunch orders. Maybe six other people on the entire beach.

The resort was very interesting. Little bungalows in the jungle, very private. A nice communal area with free wifi.

A great mix of tourists. Communal dinner was fantastic. Always five courses- cost around $15 pn for the meal.

If you want great beaches head out of the main tourist areas.

DG

Mentioned in this post
Ong Lang
Ong Lang
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

Just for the record "Jelly fish or blubber" are what is known as parachute feeders. They rise and fall trapping their prey and are generally found in estuaries or anywhere fresh water exists. At the completion of their cycle they get washed out of the estuary by seasonal rains, into the ocean or in this case the south china sea. They are often farmed for caustic soda hence the itch which is easily handled by vinegar or just ice.

Blubber is generally accepted as a sign of healthy waterway.

Cheers. Ross

kiddy
Level Contributor
426 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to swim in the sea at Long Beach?

The winds have changed and the jellyfish have gone