We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

We only have time and $ enough in our budget to go to either Phu Quoc or Halong Bay. We've never been to Vietnam but we did 3 weeks island hopping in Thailand and the scenery in Halong Bay looks alot like that. But we've been told by the local company putting our itinerary together that Halong is a must see. We prefer off the beaten path places on our vacation and from the sounds of it everyone goes to Halong Bay. Any suggestions?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

It is impossible to answer this question. my only point would following weather as it is great weather in phu quoc now but cold in halong.

Out of that, look at picture of both and decide if u want the beach break or the Halong great scenery. but you cant compare them

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

Hi There

If you have a week, try to do both. Halong is always a highlight of any trip to Vietnam, but not the beaten path so let go for Phu Quoc.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

Halong bay is a UNESCO World Heritage, you should discovery the popular travel destination.

Phu Quoc island with nice beaches, you can enjoy & relax there.

In fact, you can visit both destinations. There's a direct flight from Hanoi to Phuquoc & Phuquoc - Hanoi daily (Hanoi - Halong bay is around 180km far).

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
433 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

Hello Jessica J

What time of year are you going and for how long? I spent time at both places in June. 2 nights on the Dragons Pearl 2 and 4 nights at Cassia Cottages, Phu Quoc. Halong Bay was an amazing experience, serenity, serenity. Phu Quoc, well we didn't do much because it was for relaxing at the end of our trip, so spent most of the time by the pool, walking into the township and at Rory's Bar on the beach. I would definitely go back to Halong Bay, Phu Quoc, maybe, but I would choose Hoi An over Phu Quoc. I have a blog on Travelpod if you'd like to peruse (Vietnam June 2013).

5. Re: Phu Quoc or Halong Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, January 10, 2015