We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Given this recent news:

thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20130916-no-mo…

It makes a return trip to Phu Quoc quite unattractive. Not being able to get around the island freely, for us at least, would make any visit really rather pointless.

We would like to know whether folks still hiring motos, have there been any issues? Anyone been pulled up by police?

(by posters who have recently been and hired a moto please, not vague, old opinions and hearsay and I am well aware of the usual rant about it being illegal to ride in 'Nam, thanks)

cheers

ramjet

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

I stand corrected. Seems things have changed. But at the end of the 12 months, I wonder how many would pass the UK test. Timmyruss is right. I'd better watch out while driving the roads!

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

A current Vietnamese driving licence is recognised and accepted, for a visitor in New South Wales, Australia and, to my knowledge, in all other States and Territories.

Greg

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Thanks LeBihan,

Good info.

It's risky enough without riding stupidly/drunk/late at night. !! Helmets, good footwear and glasses to stop bugs and dust in eyes !

Look forward to coming home covered in red PQ dust again !

cheers

R

Osoyoos, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

I have been in Phu Quoc since late October. While I heard about the crackdown it has not happened. A few times I have observed road blocks but they only stop locals to check registrations, helmets, etc. one I observed for about an hour outside of a coffee shop and did not see one tourist pulled over. Saw many motor bikes seized by only from locals.

Sunshine Beach...
Level Contributor
13 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

I spoke with a local shop owner today re police on Phu Quoc. She said there isn't any! 'No enough people' she said. 'Saigon many many. Phu Quoc, no police!' Locals drive quite slowly, especially the scooter riders. There's the mandatory polite horn tooting as cars pass scooters, and the scooters tend to ride way across to the right. There's more taxis than local cars from what I can see. All metered, too, which is nice. The only people I've seen riding badly are young male tourists in groups. I saw 3 younger lads today, sunburnt to a crisp, going way to fast down the lane ways near where I was staying. Reminded me if the uncouth Aussies in Bali. Show some respect people!

Basel
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Near the hotels on Long Beach there are many places to hire motos, the going rate was 150k VND for 1 day hire. When I hired last week there was no paperwork at all, definitely no need to show any license. Only saw a couple of police all day and they were checking locals only.

Riding around town is ok, not too busy and reasonable road surfaces. Getting across town is not easy due to the lack of any signposts. Some of the roads out of town turn into dusty, rutted, rock-strewn dirt tracks which the street tyres on the moto struggled to cope with at times. If you crash and damage the bike, then be prepared for some 'fun' negotiations when you take the bike back.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Rick C, ur contact is wrong. Phu Quoc police is pretty big (not sayong usefull) and there is plenty of road block. I have staff caught every week.

Re tourist: they wont be stop AS LONG AS they respect the rules.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

Mmmm. I just got a bike, then read this forum. lol… Like York said, I went to a shop to buy a water and ended up with a bike in under 2 minutes. No license, no payment, no nothing, just take it. I wish Budget rent a car was like this. Just said bring it back in 2 days and it was $20. I had no idea you need a license, what the heck. Shouldn't the renter tell you that. Anyway, Phu Quoc would be the only place in VN that a westerner should be able to ride, I would never do it on the mainland. Maybe they can offer a tourist training license pro mo on Phu Quoc .

Capitola, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

We stayed in Phu Quoc around New Year, we rented a bike from our hotel most every day. During our 8 days we didnt see any police at all.

Without a bike it's very diffucult to get around!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Moto crackdown by Phu Quoc police - serious or propoganda?

"Without a bike it's very diffucult to get around!"

You could have hired xe om drivers and done your bit for local employment!