We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao Beach

Canada
Level Contributor
344 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sao Beach

Hey Everyone

Having not been there I can only base my opinion on the reviews I am reading.

Many describe Sao Beach as the best beach not only in Phu Quoc but Vietnam as a whole. Beautiful water, Sandy beaches. It is also described as slightly isolated and takes a bit of effort to get too.

However

I have read a few reviews of people who have stayed at some of the limited locations nearby and while they loved it, do tend to say it can be crowded when "daytrippers" come for the day.

I am wondering if this "crowded" is a relative word. I have booked my trip there with the intention of just relaxing for a few days in amongst an otherwise busy trip. The appeal of Phu Quoc was that isolated/less developed feeling.

I am considering staying in one of the limited locations on Sao Beach. For all its beauty is Sao Beach overly busy during the day, and for the purposes of relaxation should I stay elsewhere?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sao Beach

I'm interested in an answer to this so I'll give you a bump

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sao Beach

We stayed at mango bay resort and visited Sao beach as a day trip and the day we went it was raining (in may this year). We also visited many other places that day and wouldn't say that Sao beach was a highlight. I definitely wouldn't stay there. It is a nice beach but a tourist destination for bus loads of people so in saying this hundreds of people can stop for quite a few hours. The restaurants also serve averge food and not cheap. There are many other places to stay and for example mango bay at ong lang was very nice and quite secluded. Hope this sheds some light and helps you. We loved phu quoc and would definitely return. Sao beach was very beautiful and a calm beach at that time of the year but we are from perth and have the best beaches in the world here. There are many other beautiful beaches on phu quoc and most people don't appear to stay at Sao beach. Happy to answer any other questions.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sao Beach

Sao beach was beautiful withnot much infrastructure nearby. Certainly a beautiful spot with nice waves and clear water, beach sand was very clean and white. I stayed in town but the drive down and back was a kidney ripper! Maybe with the new airport the roads will improve.

Edited: 9:55 am, September 04, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
908 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sao Beach

Thanks for the info. Was thinking of boating over from Rach Gia. I guess that where all the day trippers come from!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sao Beach

The day snorkelling trips and day tours invade...wall to wall people when we visited in July.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sao Beach

Hi,

Sao beach is very closed to the Phu Quoc prison which many domestic tourists often visit. Therefore they drop in the beach for a relaxation/seafood. There are basic facilities there including sunbed, water tank, few restaurants, etc. I think they cater mostly for domestic tourists.

The beach is beautiful, white sandy and unspoiled.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Prison
Phu Quoc Prison
1,150 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sao Beach

Sao Beach is surely nice but going there is a waste of time.

the beauty of the area is not much better than what you got on long beach.

I would not stay in Sao beach not even go there for a day trip.

so many other beach activities in other areas of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sao Beach

Hi everyone,

Sao Beach is definetly nice and worth to come but I recommend you guys stay in Long Beach- Tran HUng Dao street ( Duong Dong town) and spending your whole daytime to travel the South and North Beaches ( Ong Lang Beach and Dai Beach) and return to the town at night to enjoy dinner.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,149 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Duong Dong
Duong Dong
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Ong Lang Beach
Ong Lang Beach
157 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
9. Re: Sao Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island