We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport scam in Phu Quoc

Brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Transport scam in Phu Quoc

We absolutely loved Phu Quoc, but the first impression was tainted by what appears to be a pesky scam.

We arrived on the Ferry from Ha Tien at Ham Ninh. At the Ha Tien border (and after paying the questionable $1 fee with a health declaration which no one checked) the tour operator offered transfers from the ferry terminal to our hotel for USD$6 each.

At Ham Ninh we got into a minivan and off we went. The couple next to us noticed that they had passed their hotel, so asked driver to go back. Well, he was furious! He went nuts saying now he had to back track 3km and why did they not tell him which hotel they were staying (it was only 400m and they DID). After going back, letting them out and slamming the door he set off again and we were next - the Arcadia.

He pulled over on the right verge of the road, pointed over the road and said "Arcadia", so my wife and I got out with our heavy backpacks and walked down the steep, rocky laneway but could not find the Arcadia, only Tropicana and others. We heard an American on a scooter and asked if he knew where Arcadia was. He said it was only 150m on the beach, but as he owned Cassia Cottage he did not like people walking through other hotels and suggested we go back on the road and walk south 400m. Then he muttered about how he should stop being a good Samaritan (Gee, thanks... for what?)

So back up onto the road where we saw another couple from another minibus also at the wrong hotel, then there just happened to be a van pull over and ask if we were lost. He said we were about 1km from Arcadia but offered to drive us there for 50,000 dong... so we did. He also had another traveller in the van he was taking to a hotel and pulled over and asked the other couple from the other minibus if they were lost. They told him where they should be and he pointed them north saying about 2km.

So he dropped the other guy off, dropped us off 400m down the road at our hotel...we paid the 50k and I have no doubt we was heading back to offer a helpful lift for a high fee to the other couple.

I reckon our first driver was so angry because the passengers noticed he had driven past his hotel.

Now, had the transfer been 2x$6 + $2.50 I would have happilly paid, but being taken advantage of just sucks.

Message: make sure you are dropped of at your hotel before leaving minibus, no matter how mental the driver gets - it's what you paid for!

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Ham Ninh
Ham Ninh
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Cassia Cottage
Cassia Cottage
1,242 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

Nice, VN drivers are really out of control everywhere....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

Interesting info thanks,

Edited: 4:23 pm, January 04, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

Maurizio, on which base u talk like about ALL VN drivers? Some respect please. I am here since 10 years and had 1 bad experience only. Less than in Paris :-) Dont give wrong and insulting image to future comers.

For everybody coming by boat, be very carefull with those mini bus. I would advice u to prebook transfer with ur hotel. If not, make everything clear with the driver.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
90 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

I found for the most part Vietnam drivers were pretty honest. You will run into few rogue motorcycle drivers that try to change prices on you, but pretty rare compared china

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Level Contributor
67 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

I must also say that this was the only time we had a problem with drivers in Vietnam. Like most Vietnamese, the drivers were mostly very helpful and the people are beautiful.

Mentioned in this post
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

#3 They are out of control..too many negative posts.

The fact that neither me or you had any problems seems irrelevant.

7. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:00 am, January 05, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

Thanks for posting your experience and I agree with Maurizio unfortunately the Vietnam forums are full of tourists being scammed by drivers. so there is a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

I only use Vinasun with no problems, they just seems to take a longer route when there is a traffic jam so the price go up a little.

I've used taxi in Taipei for 5 years on the busiest days with rain and I always payed what was on the meter leaving the change because it was so little....

Another place with taxi problems is Koh Samui, in Bangkok they use the meter, on the island they simply refuse and ask minimum 15$ no matter where you have to go, more if rains, even more at nigh.

So VN is not alone.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport scam in Phu Quoc

taxi problems are all over the world, specially airports and train stations

of course there are many negative reviews on here, that's because the % of people writting on here is very small compared to the total number of travellers

Jb gets about 2000 guests per year, and about 5 or 6 reviews, never more than 10 in 1 year ... shows not many folks write on place like this, most are too busy being on holidays

look at all the questionsbeing asked and the very few who come back and let it know how theur trip was ...

Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island