We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu quoc or kep?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Phu quoc or kep?

We are spending some time in PP and Siem R in December. We want to take a week around xmas new year to chill on a beach. We loved phu quoc a few years ago and tempted to go back but also thinking we should try Kep instead as hearing/ reading good things about it. Anyone who has been to both who can advise? We'll be flying back via Bangkok on 3 Jan.

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

Very little to do in Kep. The beach that time last year was very dirty, not with rubbish but almost black as if it had oil on it. If you liked it in Phu Quoc i would go back there. You should book soon as it does get busy at that time.

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

i have been to both places (well i live in PQ!) and the only decent beach near Kep is on rabbit island but even thats not comparable to PQ, not sure what time of year you came last time but Dec is pretty good.

just be careful if its mid dec onwards you need to make sure you have accomodation firmed up as ofter there are shortages this time...

Rohan

http://www.visitphuquoc.info

HCM
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

Phu Quoc Travel Tips

http://www.phuquoc12.com

Ho Chi Minh
Level Contributor
140 posts
4. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

Phu Quoc is still beautiful island. Come and enjoy

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

Thanks guys - Im pretty sure i'll go for PQ again as we both loved it last time (stayed at Mango Bay). I'll get cracking regarding accomodations now. I understand there are no direct flights from PP to Phu Quoc so I think I'll try to travel the bus/ferry route. Question: Ive seen reference to a lovely resort NEAR Mango bay - can you mark my cards on the name of same?

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

do you mean Bo resort?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
7. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

I think that may be it. Many thanks - I'll research it now.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

PhuQuoc12:

Your site is entirely in Vietnamese & also doesn't seem to contain a lot of information about Phu Quoc, I wonder how you consider it relevant to this forum?

OP:

I've only been to PQ (several times,my favourite place in Vietnam) so can't compare, but a friend of mine in Phnom Penh absolutely loves Kep & goes there every month.

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

Kep itself Tim is a very cool place and i do like it myself too but this person asked to "chill on a beach" which Kep unfortunately doesnt any good ones apart from on Rabbit Island nearby....

HCM
Level Contributor
16 posts
10. Re: Phu quoc or kep?

webite sorry you're in the process of updating information. would you go back in the near future.