We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International airport?

rockhampton
Level Contributor
119 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
International airport?

Does anyone have any idea when it is due to open?

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
830 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International airport?

It was originally supposed to be open at the end of this year,but there's no way that's going to happen.I have just come back from Phu Quoc,and there doesn't seem to have been much progress made since I was last there a few months ago.I would think it will be at least another year,and probably longer

Mentioned in this post
Phu Quoc Island
Phu Quoc Island
Kien Giang Province, Vietnam
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International airport?

Supposedly June 2012. icex.es/partenariadovietnam/…20Quoc.pdf

I see they say the number of visitors in 2009 was around 220,000 a year. With the new airport they are looking at 2-3 million! Life will never be the same there.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International airport?

They rebuilt Cam Ranh in 5-6 months, if memory serves.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
353 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International airport?

is the new airport an extension of the exsisting one or is there a complete new site being built? We were there in Feb this year & I was looking for a sign of a new developement, but its not very visable, although there was a lot of roadwork (much needed) happening & a big work site just north of Boa Sao, maybe this was the new airport!!! I think it would be a shame to change too much there as thats all part of the attraction of the place. But thats progress & tourism = money!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Sao Beach
Sao Beach
3,153 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International airport?

It's a completely new airport. The longer the delay before it opens, the better.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
353 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International airport?

i couldn't agree more C&G!!!!

ColVal

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International airport?

latest word i got was end of next year, i also cannot see this date happening!

lets take a guess and say operating perhaps sometime in 2013 unless they pull something out of the bag....

the changes to this place will depend on how well its development is managed, i havent drafted my exit plan just yet! :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International airport?

Oh Buddy

How anxious you must be. Who is involved in planning infrastructure development in the future? How will the few hotels manage with the influx of tourists. Will PQI end up like the strip along China Beach?

Do you really sell icecream? Better put in a bid for a parlour in the duty free section!!!

DG

Phu Quoc Island...
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International airport?

hahaha all those decisions and answers are still yet to be determined and that would be planning! :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International airport?

Wondering if they have started on the airport yet?

Cheers. Nunks

Get answers to your questions about Phu Quoc Island