We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phu Quoc

Surrey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Phu Quoc

I was thinking of going to Phu Quoc for 6 nights staying at the Saigon Resort, but have some bad reviews on both the island, dirty beaches, sea etc and the hotel. Can anyone let me know their experiences

Hanoi
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phu Quoc

HI

3 nights on PhuQuoc should be enough. SaiGon-PhuQuoc resort is a nice one. they have private beach. it is nice to be on PhuQuoc but will be boring to stay there long because, nothing much to do.

Fanxipantravel

Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Phu Quoc

Hi Di,

I stayed on Phu Quoc in Feb/March this year for 10 days and I would have loved 10 more.

With regard to fanxipantravel's comment about nothing much to do, it depends on what interests you. I am not a person who can waste time lazing on the beach, yet if that is your thing, there is miles and miles of beach to do this. I totally enjoyed riding around the island on a motorbike exploring the dozens of beaches and coves, and enjoying the magnificent scenery in the immense national park. There is two large towns to explore with numerous restaurants and shops, and the freedom of not having hawkers bothering you.

I stayed at Charm Hotel which although not directly on the beach, it is nice and convenient to everything, and only a two minute walk to the beach.I found it to be exceptional value at US$30 a night, modern(opened Dec 2007), great service and fantastic food. As with most hotels on the island, they can arrange everything from motorbike hire to boating trips for you.

Don't be put off by what you hear about rubbish on the beaches as most main tourist beaches are regularly cleaned, and I certainly didn't find them dirty. Having said that, when you go to the windward side of the island(depends on the season), there tends to be quite a bit of litter at the high tide mark in the less visited areas. This is no more of a problem to Phu Quoc as it is with all islands in the Asian region due to many factors from population numbers, to litter control systems etc........

Enjoy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phu Quoc

Always travelling has good advice.

Really liked Phu Quoc.

Do as little or as much as you like. Highly recommend getting out on a bike. The south east beaches are beautiful and you will be one of max ten people swimming.

Don't expect any night life after 9pm though.

The night markets for fresh cheap seafood was a nice night out.

If you're going top end accom, La Veranda over Saigon is the way to go. You really don't need to spend that sort of money though.

Regards,

Shanan.

Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phu Quoc

I've been in VN for over 5 years and Phu Quoc is by far the nicest place in the whole country in my opinion. Boring? Not at all. Sure, if you have a short attention span and need lots of flashing lights and theme parks and such, then you'll find it boring. But if you like quiet beaches, blue sea, rainforests, fishing villages and motorbike touring, you'll love it.

Can't really add much to what the previous posters have said except that the south-east beaches are pretty difficult to find, even with a map, due to the Vietnamese allergy to signposts :) But part of the fun is driving along remote dirt tracks trying to find them!

I stay at www.beachclubvietnam.com, a budget option but the best service I've encountered in any hotel/resort in Vietnam (apart from the Duxton of course!)

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
679 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phu Quoc

We had 6 nights there in June could have stayed a month. It all comes down to what life style you want. It was so peaceful while we were there as it was low season. We found the water dirty some days but it was rainy season and a lot of rubbish was being swept from the river. We just headed to deeper water our packed up and went to the other side of the island where the water is like a huge warm lake.Most days we had the beach to ourselves.

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Phu Quoc

Hi SmileyDi,

I just came back from Vietnam last week and it was a great trip. The only disappointment was Phu Quoc Island (we also stayed at the Saigon Phu Quoc Resort).

Long beach was average, it was very windy and the sand and water not that clean.

Sao beach looked a lot better with white sandy beaches and clean water but as I was about to go in for a dip, I saw a human log float past. I don't end up swimming at any of the beaches after that.

The Saigon Phu Quoc resort is definiely not 4 stars. While the rooms did have everything needed, they were smelly and the beds were uncomfortable. We stayed for 3 nights and it was 2 nights too long. There are some good sights to see and great seafood but I think 2 days and 1 night is enough.

You are better off staying in Saigon and enjoying the nightlife and atmosphere. If you like the beach, go to Nha Trang.

Tommy

New Zealand
Level Contributor
426 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phu Quoc

Most of the hotels in Phu Quoc are on a strip by the town - it's a little artificial (they rake the sand). You should go further up the coast from the main town - Bo Resort is about 20 minutes away. The beach is spectacular and the food amazing. Perfect tropical vacation place. Or try Mango Resort.

8. Re: Phu Quoc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 03, 2009