We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More tourists using Clark International Airport

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Topic
More tourists using Clark International Airport

This 'Inquirer' article notes that Clark Airport, 80 kilometres from central Manila, has achieved throughput of one million passengers in ten months in 2012, a record:

…inquirer.net/90150/clark-gets-1m-passengers…

I assume that this means '500,000 arriving and 500,000 departing' passengers or similar: it does not mean that a million passengers used the airport each way.

This figure is smaller than fast growing Tacloban City airport and far smaller than Cebu's Mactan, but it is growing and should rise further with the taxiway congestion at Manila's main NAIA airport.

Clark suffers from the lack of a high speed (or indeed any) heavy rail link to Metro Manila, as the traffic from balintawak into Manila's suburbs is often horrendous.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Tacloban
Tacloban
Leyte Island, Philippines
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

@ Victorian lad,

Clark definitely has seen a consistent rise in the number of flights - especially air asia, and hence number of passengers.

I myself often prefer Clark, simply because it is so much smaller and does not take ages for security etc.

However, there is always lots of politics behind anything to do with clark airport - whether it is changing it's name or it's statistics. Now, for the past few months, there has been fresh controversy with politicians (the custodians of democracy and citizen rights! he he!) having taken up the cause of getting the international airport new building (you cannot miss th huge bill boards all over clark freeport zone - "it has been 20 years since it was promised, where is our clark international airport?")

I myself would be happy if 1/4th the flights that fly out of Manila are shifted to Clark. It takes the same ammount of time - whether you are stuck in edsa trying to reach manila airport from manila, or whether you go on sctex! Plus, of course, I reach my home in Baguio much faster!

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Baguio
Baguio
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

I try to to use the MRT or LRT elevated heavy rail lines to get close to Manila NAIA, which minimises being stuck in traffic.

Unfortunately getting to Balintawak (on the way to Clark) from any Metro Manila suburb is slow for all but the 'wee hours.'

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

@ Victorian lad and all others familiar with Manila.

My trouble has always been getting quickly from MRT3 Edsa Taft to the airport (NAIA 3). The airport road often gets choc a bloc with traffic.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

MRT/LRT with laguage? Not unless its 5am ride.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

@ Edwin

No luggage... light traveller :) i usually just have one piece

Edited: 10:42 pm, November 04, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

YouLive, I find sometimes that the trip to which you refer (NAIA T3 to EDSA/ Taft stations can be very quick.

I think the route is via Andrews Avenue (U turn required somewhere) then into Aurora Boulevard.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

@ Victorian lad...

quick.... Taxi from the MRT 3 (Edsa / taft) station? Or jeep?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

Although the traffic around the MRT and LRT Pasay stations is very busy, taxis are usually available quickly, except when it is raining.

Mentioned in this post
Pasay
Pasay
Luzon, Philippines
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

Yes - I have not had trouble GETTING a taxi. my problem is SITTING in the taxi stuck in traffic. Sometimes have had to do that for 30-40 minutes for this small stretch.

I am trying to find a way to reach the airport without having to "undergo" this! Hence the question.

10. Re: More tourists using Clark International Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 15, 2013