We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Last night walking home from dinner at Chandi in Seminyak around 10pm, heading back to our villa just behind Grocer and Grind, 2 people (guys?) on a motorbike grabbed the bag from my shoulder, wrenched it off and drove away with it. I had no chance to follow or catch them. I've lost my leather bag, phone, wallet with my credit card and ATM card, my phone and my glasses which I need for reading.

Please take care when walking that your bag in not easily 'get able' by people driving past on bikes.

This is no reflection on Chandi- just putting it in context.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Starting to become very common these days.

Edited: 5:18 am, March 10, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

That is terrible.

It's frightening. Happening far too often.

Very sorry that happened you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Ouch! That sucks, praying something like this doesn't happen to me. Think i'll use a backpack with a lock or something... sorry to hear!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,581 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Hi Heatherjanice

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you but this street is notorious for bag snatching day and night. There should be signs erected warning people to take care of their possessions particularly on this street. It must have been a terrible experience for you.

Hi joflyy

A backpack is the very worst thing to carry!!! Please only take a very small clutch type of purse at night with only a lipstick in it plus a small amount of cash if possible.

Just be very careful.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

This is becoming distressing. I wonder how many more of these snatches are occurring. Only a small percentage will be reported on this forum.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Hi HeatherJanice

how terribly unnerving and distressing for you! Have you lodged a report with the Tourist Police? By doing so, you will be able to claim on your travel insurance in a more favourable light.

I do hope you are able to get some new specs very quickly!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Thank you for your kind messages. I really just want people to be aware. I wish I had known about this earlier- I could have taken steps to ensure it didn't happen. Hope people are getting the message.

Interestingly my friend was 'stalked' today by a girl on a bike. And yes I have been to the Police who wanted money for their efforts. If only I had some to give them!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

"And yes I have been to the Police who wanted money for their efforts. If only I had some to give them!"

This made me chuckle at the absurdity - your money has been stolen, the police want money as payment to take a report about your stolen money, but hello, your money has been stolen...And round and round we go.

I am so sorry that this happened and it is a good warning to others. One thing that I usually do, regardless of where I am in the world, is leave my backup cash and cards stashed at my hotel so that if someone robs me or pickpockets me, they won't get everything. I can just use my backups and continue my trip.

At least you weren't injured though - I have heard of people being pulled into the gutter with these bag snatching crimes, even dragged a little ways until the bag strap breaks or comes loose.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,581 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

Hi November_moon

People being pulled to the gutter etc is one reason that cross body bags and backpacks are the worst kind to be carrying - if these thieves really want your bag - they will stop at nothing to get it. If you are on a motorbike, sadly, they will not stop at pulling you to the ground whilst you are riding your bike. Out of sight is the best place for any kind of bag and the less you can carry in it, the better off you are.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING, I was robbed!!!

I now make a habit, if I am carrying a bag, to have it over my curbside shoulder, not the roadside shoulder. It took a bit of practice to get used to doing this but now it's second nature. Never walk with your handbag over the shoulder that it closest to the road.