We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DJ'ing in Bali

Which Seminyak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
DJ'ing in Bali

Hello Friends,

I plan to be in Bali for most of October this year. I'll be doing many things like relaxing, yoga, watching the sunsets....and I'd also like to DJ at a small lounge, bar, restaurant in the Seminyak or nearby area. I'm not looking to make money at all from it...just want to play some music for people while on vacation.

Please let me know if you know of good places that would be open to the idea or local people that may have suggestions!

Thank you.

K

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

Hi there, most small bars or cafes that don't have their own DJ would be open to it they are generally very accommodating. I take a heap of my own music with me from top 40 to remixes and mashups and play them at nearly every place we go (except larger bars and clubs of course) But one thing to consider, put your music on CDs as they aren't advanced when it comes to music systems, playing music from USB or MP3 players won't happen unless the place has an updated system. Even the hotel I stay at in Kuta has a CD player only!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

Do be very careful that you do not appear to be working.

If you do not have a work visa the penalties can be disturbing, and it would certainly ruin your stay.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

Plenty of tourists get up and play with local musicians, they sing, play their guitars, blow their harps and DJ. They don't do solo gigs and it is not perceived as work.

Unfortunately many wanna be singers especially are an assault on the ears :)

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

I agree with j_hercules - be very careful re working on a tourist visa

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

Yes, there was a case recently where a well known cafe was fined tens of ,millions of rupiah for allowing some ,musicians without an entertainment visa to play. If you do want to do this please get the entertainers visa...I believe its only 1.5 juta. Also do not take a job away from someone local as there could be repercussions. You might be entertaining for free but if that club could be paying a local person then its wrong on many levels. Oh, and of course the foreigners were fined a substantial amount...so ,much that fundraisers were held to raise money towards it.

Edited: 6:31 am, September 25, 2013
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

He doesn't want to work our001.

I understand the concerns about some who do perhaps take over others gigs, but it is possible to just have a bit of fun playing with other musicians as long as it is not regular or more than once at one place really.

As ubudpup says, perhaps look into getting the right paper work for total legitimacy.

Edited: 6:59 am, September 25, 2013
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

It is a little more about perception than intent.

Maybe K is not seeking payment but that is a moot point, even under the immigration law 'payment' is not primarily the issue, engagement in the 'activity' appears to be the determinant of 'employment', or 'working'.

This can arise as a serious issue for those who seek to 'volunteer' in various charitable capacities as well.

Obviously someone just spontaneously joining in at a music venue is not likely to be of great issue, but that is not what K appears to be proposing.

Do be cautious.

Save Reply
8. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

really good advice from everyone. appreciate the perspectives. i'll be sure to respect the ordinances and practices if bali before engaging. we'll see if this works, else you're welcome to hear me spin in nyc at some future time. :)

K

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DJ'ing in Bali

Have a great time K.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews