We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
728 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

Hi

Have booked 3 nights at Royal Beach Seminyak for Feb trip

I know not to take notice of all TA reports but a few too any negative ones have me second guessing.

I chose the hotel because of Position? ( haven't been there before but it looks well sited) and also being an Accor member I could accrue points

Wondering for the price I may find better?

Approx $620 for 3 nights deluxe room

Travelling with 23 yr old daughter so need two beds

Interested in anyone's feedback

Thanks

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

The Royal Beach Seminyak is beautiful! Fantastic location right on the beach, magnificent gardns and pools and dining options. If you are an Accor member, then I don't think you can do better. The cost is not cheap, but then again you are staying in a pretty luxurious resort. I am sure you and your daughter will love it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

I second Elizabeth's vote. It is really lovely resort in a great area. You will always find negative reviews on properties, but I think sometimes people have unrealistic expectations.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

It is a gorgeous hotel. Sure you can get cheaper, but if you can afford this place, you won't be disappointed. The price you have quoted is very good.

If you want similar location, i.e. near lots of restaurants, beach etc, you could go to the Jayakarta. It is a very adequate hotel at around $100.00 a room , but not as luxurious as the RB.

Stop reading reviews once you are happy with a place. :)

Perth
Level Contributor
512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

Sometimes TA reviews aren't at all helpful.

I've been to a few hotels, and many restaurants that got top reviews on this site, but in my opinion they left much to be desired.

Some people are just easily pleased because they're on holidays so anything is good.

Conversley, some people will complain about anything, maybe the Bali heat got to them.

Also, what is good one day may not be as good the next or vice-versa. Things change.

In regards to reviews, sometimes you're better just concentrating on location and amenities and taking a chance on the rest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

I agree you can read to much into hotel reviews. I booked the Padma for a night after reading such great TA reviews and hated it. I was going to book the Royal but didn't after reading a few negative reviews. When we were in Bali we actually saw the Royal and it looked AMAZING.. Wished we had stayed there instead of our night at the Padma... A friend of mine always stays at the Royal and loves it and she is very fussy!

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

I concur with the above. We went there in February this year and are excited to be going back in January/Feb next year.

The hotel grounds, pools, location are fantastic, and the rooms (although maybe a tad dated) are still really good quality.

You won't regret it!

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
728 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

Thanks everyone

And yes I'm giving reviews a miss for a while , doing my head in

Very good advice from all of you and I appreciate your responses

Perth
Level Contributor
512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

If taking the word of a reviewer it's always a good habit to check out their review distribution ratings tally.

In other words, check out if they review everything as excellent, or on the other hand, everything as poor.

To check out their review distribution ratings sinply hover the computer cursor over their id image.

A box will appear showing their review distribution ratings.

I prefer to read or take advice from only those reviewers who have a balanced grid of ratings.

For example a few excellent, a few good, a few poor or so on.

This tells me that the reviewer doesn't just rate everything the same.

For example when you look at my review distribution you will see:

I've written 26 reviews.

And I've rated

Excellent 8

Very good 6

Average 3

Poor 8

Terrible 1

In my opinion, I'm a fairly balanced reviewer. I've rated as many reviews as excellent as I've rated them poor.

Unfortunately I see some people on TA rate everything as excellent. Really, the world isn't perfect and I don't think this way of reviewing helps people who want TA advice.

Note: The reviewer's distribution box only appears when you are on a review page, not on forums.

Edited: 2:05 am, November 26, 2012
Sydney
Level Contributor
190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

We stayed at the Royal last February for a week as I was recovering from knee surgery.

For us it was just "ok" and we thought the rooms were a tad tired.

Nothing dire or drastic but for what we paid I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second Thoughts about hotel booked in Seminyak

........ and a "balanced review" doesn't mean anything either. It could just as well mean that the reviewer picked a number of rubbish places to stay at or they have unrealistic expectations when they stay at 1* or so called 5* places or maybe even subconciously deciding to give an average or poorer review than they normally would.

You never can tell.

If you have no experience you can not make a relative assessment anyway. If you are reviewing a 3* place in Italy you can't compare it to a 3* place in Austria ( or Australia) as a point in reference. Really you can only review it against other Italian Hotels for example. Often there are even Regional variations in the same country - especially so even in Europe.

There are people who have never stayed in a real 5* Hotel and whose only experience is what they've seen in a Cary Grant/Billie WIlder movie then "review" their "Asian" 5* Hotel accordingly.

Some people just want to give a Hotel a bad review in its entirety just because the girl at reception didn't smile at them or their room wasn't ready the second they arrived. Some even because their flight was late which made them generally irritated and want to find fault with everything rather than just grabbing a beer and chilling.

All you can do with reviews is read between the lines.