We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor bike/scooter hire

Which Seminyak hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Motor bike/scooter hire

I understand hotels will arrange this for you but we want to hire one where we complete a contract type document. Have motor bike hire as an extra on our insurance so want to make sure we have some paperwork in case we need to make a claim.

Is it usual to have a hire document?

Names of companies?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

Everytime I have hired a scooter in Bali I have had a Hire Contract that I have signed. They will make sure that you look over the scooter and note any damage before you except/take it. It is a good idea to take photos of any little dings or scratches so they can not blame you upon your return. Although I have never had any problems it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry, I can't remember any company names I have used. Have fun and watch those crazy Balinese drivers/riders, or more to the point, the even crazier foreigners.

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

HI tazmo we are regulars to bali and allways hire the bikes good advise given check bike over take photos ect we hire ours of two places only the first is in poppies lane one at the gates to kutapuri hotell is a internet place with scoter hire ask for kutut he has the bigest smile ever and the best set of perfect teeth you will ever see the second is next to the kuta town houses there is a baby rental shop and a place that rents scoters his name is madaie both are verey honest and will do a contract for you you do have to pay the first $500.00 us if you have a acident that is standart but make sure you have a licence to ride one back home you will need a international licence as well cost aud $ 30.00 app as you will get pulled up at some stage by the cops as you are a westerner if you dont have a australian licence and you have a prang you are on your own the insurance is worth nothing cost of a scoter with insurance is app 40.000 t0 50.000 rps per day no insurance is app 20.000 to 30.000 per day hope this helpes .kobrob.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

Thanks, everything greatly appreciated. Licence etc all in place.

We really do need a recommendation for somewhere that will deliver - we arn't brave enough to drive it home in that sort of traffic - well, Noel might , he used to drive an 1100cc bike so to have survived that he probably thinks he'sbullet proof, but we'll no doubt be heading for a divorce if he tries with me on the back.

I think the owners' of the baby shop lurk on the BTF so I might enquire if anyone knows the name of the bike place.

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

HI tazmo i have just found the cards from where we hire the scoters the one near the baby shop is called made bali rental motor his emaill is made-darwis@hotmail.com ph mobile 081338647685 or the other one is i ketut trianwan/sambru ph 0361751903 or home ph is 0817560704 both will deliver to your hotel you say you are not brave enough to ride it home in that sort of trafic . bali trafic is full on there are no rules just go slow and keep an eye open for pot holes kids dogs and the general public as they just walk out in front of you . have a good look at the trafic befor you hire one and work out if you think you will be ok as i have said it is crazy on the roads over there . if you do get a bike try and use the back lane ways at first or go for a ride early morning to get use to the road condition and remember the pot holes if in dout dont hire one use a bluebird taxi be safe kobrob.....

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

Great, thanks Kobrob. We're staying on Petitenget and that's the closest we will be getting to any traffic. We're well familiar with the area so should be ok. We just want to go and have a look around the back roads of Umulas and Canggu and to investigate further stretches of the beach.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,366 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

HI TazmoPerth, WE always hire our cars and scooters from PT Amertha Dana, Jl Wakudara 104, Legian. Pak Komang is the owner and he does give you a contract. We pay Rp50,000 per day including Insurance for a scooter. They are a PT company so fully licensed.

They always deliver to us.

Pak Komang

email komang@amerthadana.com

Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

Can my 22 year old son get an international bike license when he gets over there or does he need a Australian bike license before we go???????

Two other people in our party have their licenses here in Aust so should be ok I think?

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

You can only get an International Licence endorsed for motorbikes if you have the Australian equivelant. You get them from your local motoring organisation such as NRMA, RACV http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/primary/travel/driving+overseas/international+driving+permits

Lou

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

ALL you need to ride a scooter is an International License which you can obtain from the RAC and your normal car license. You DO NOT need an Australian Bike License to be covered if you have an accident in Bali. We have double checked this as we have read these forums before and we have Comprehensive Travel Insurance with the RAC and we have been told we are A O K ")

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motor bike/scooter hire

Andy, that's very interesting considering that the PDS for comprehensive travel insurance with RAC, clearly states that you DO need a motorcycle license in order to be covered to ride on whilst overseas.

Page 50. General Exclusions: Points 9 and 10.

http://rac.com.au/Travel/Travel-insurance/Plan-types/~/media/Travel/Travel_insurance/RAC_Travel_Insurance_Combined_FSG_PDS_15Dec11.ashx

Under their definitions a motorcycle is a anything over 50cc. All bikes in Bali are over 100cc.

Edited: 9:20 pm, October 16, 2012