We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

I'm off to Bali in a couple of months and was just wondering if i need any vaccinations? My Dr recommended I get Typhoid and also a Hep A/B shot....I've spoken to a few people who never get any shots when they go over there. Is this advisable?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,981 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

I think it's upto you and your own piece of mind and it also depends on where you are going and what you are doing.

I agree that the majority of people don't have any, but I would make sure that your tentanus for instrance, is up to date.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

I personally would not travel to Asia without Typhoid. I just know of too many people who have contracted it while there, including Bali.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

Most people go to Bali without having any vaccinations including all my friends. I have had typhoid (a long time ago), but now I only worry that my tetanus is up to date. Really you don't need anything, but of course it's a personal decision.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
4. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

Hi holidayjo

Your GP can 'only advise' as can a Doctor at a Travel Clinic and on that advice it is your choice as to whether you have the vaccinations or not.

If you intend to travel O/S after this year and depending on where this travel is to, then give it some serious thought.

You may like to have a look at these websites out of interest:

www.travelan.com

www.travel-bug.com(a Sth Aust Travel Clinic)

traveldoctor: www.traveldoctor.com.au

My advice is to check with your GP if your childhood vaccinations are up to date which include Rubella, Polio, Dip&Tetanus, ?Measles &Mumps.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,599 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

There are no compulsory vaccinations needed, you don't need to show any certificates of proof to get into Bali. However, I'd personally follow your Doctor's advice. Most of the jabs last you 10 years. Your choice though, I guess you'll have to pay for them.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

Hep B is an interesting one, I've just been to my GP for my next holiday and I asked the nurse about Hep B, whilst it is recommended for some SE countries, it is usually only recommended for health care workers etc.

Ones like Hep A, Typhoid, Diptheria etc are worth having. My nurse tells me now that once you've had the Hep A ones then it can cover you for 20 years now.

One other thing to do, if you have travel insurance check the small print about vaccinations. When I checked mine said if you didn't have the recommended vaccinations then insurance wouldn't cover you in those circumstances, it says and I quote:

Whats not covered:

Any expenses as a result of a tropical disease where you have not had the

recommended immunisation and/or taken the recommended medication.

Hospital bills can be very expensive, could you really afford to pay lots of money? In the UK most of the recommended jabs are free too.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

i follow my doctor's advice.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

rockterrigal ........ and thats the best advice! Its always funny how people write on forums for what jabs to have, when the best advice is what you just said ....... ;-)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,981 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

He's not just an attractive rock......

10. Re: do you need any vaccinations for Bali these days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 12, 2010