We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

Hello, we are arriving in Bali 23rd Sept from the UK and taking travellers cheques (my bank charges for every withdrawal at ATM) can anyone tell me if its best to have US Dollars or Sterling?

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

I am not an expert on this kind of thing but I would advise you against travellers cheques in Bali - they are really too much hassle and you have the added worry of carrying around your passport to show when they cash them. I'm not sure you would get a good rate with travellers cheques either.

I would ask your bank for an ATM debit card - they will still charge you a fee for a withdrawal but it will be minimal. The alternative is a pre loaded cash card but then you would lose money on the exchange as you would not be able to get one in Rupiahs.

Take as much Sterling as you can in cash and change it when you get to Bali - don't change your money to US dollars or you will pay the exchange twice.

Others from the UK may be able to advise you better than I can but that's just my thoughts on the subject.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

Hi Donna,

We are just back from Bali.

Since I live in Belgium, I was wondering also whether I should change to USD first or take euros with me.

Conclusion : there is no reason to buy USD at home > exchange rates were very correct towards euro and I am sure same is true for pounds sterling.

Note that traveller cheques have a different (worse) exchange rate, so I would indeed suggest as well to avoid. Use your credit card in hotels and restaurants and take cash with you for other expenses.

Regards,

Bart

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

Thank you both for your advice. The reason we were taking travellers cheques was because we are in Bali for 3 weeks and I was concerned about taking a lot of cash. But sounds as if cash is the best option, we are staying in a great villa so hopefully everything wil be safe and secure.

Thanks again

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

Hi Donna,

Maybe next time consider opening a bank account such as a Nationwide Flexaccount as it doesn't charge for withdrawls abroad. I agree that taking cash is better then travellers cheques.Take sterling as you'll lose out changing it to dollars here& then exchanging it for rupiah again in Bali.You do need however to have your wits about you when using moneychangers. Some are honest but others are not so you need to do your calculations, count your money before you leave & if it's correct don't let them get their hands on it again!

Ursie

5. Re: Travellers cheques US Dollar or Sterling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:22 am, October 10, 2009