We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Safety in Villas

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Food Safety in Villas

Hi. We're currently organising our trip to Bali in July 2008 and want to book a villa thru the Laksmana Villas group. My husband however is nervous about the food and hygiene. He feels that if we do a hotel we know that produce, meat etc is sourced from US or Aust. Is is safe at these private villas? How do approach the accommodation & ask in a delicate way? Help please!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Hi Burracooka

Please tell your husband not to worry about food in Bali at all. I have been coming here for 10 years and lately about 6 times a year and have never had Bali Belly once! I have stayed in hotels and now only stay in villas and never a problem. The food in Bali overall is as good as, if not better than, food in Australia and much cheaper too. You will both be pleasantly surprised.

Just relax and enjoy your holiday. Both Indonesian food and European food is well worth trying. Your husband will be converted.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Safety in Villas

We stayed in Villa Jemma which is part of Laksmana villa group. There were no problems with the food. All the meals we had were top notch and none of us got sick. In fact, we felt that the food cooked there was even better than some of the high -end restaurants. If you do stay there, ask them to prepare a BBQ, it was the best meal ever!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Safety in Villas

I am not sure that it is realistic to believe that hotels source their ingredients from overseas.

I also now only stay in villas and have never had a problem with food hygiene.

Suggest you relax...learn to say "sing ken ken".

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Thanks everyone. We've decided to stay at the Sentosa Villas instead of the Laksmana villas after they got a huge rap from a friend who stayed there 2 months ago. It all sounds too good to be true and we're told to try the Bali Deli for booze & supplies! We're not going till July and I cant wait already!

Mentioned in this post
Bali Deli
Bali Deli
256 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Sentosa is pretty much the standard (and charges accordingly :-) ) and you will find the food at Blossom excellent, even though the chef has just changed.

Fortunately, Sentosa also has one of the best gyms in Bali, so you will be able to work it off.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Good to hear. I wasnt too distressed with the prices - they were about what we were looking at with most villas for 4 people. It seems to be well kitted out with all the amenities (kids club included!). as well as being well positioned in Seminyak for shopping & eating. It will be the first time for staying in a villa situation & also in the seminyak area. Hope it goes well.

Mentioned in this post
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
710 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Not sure what they are charging in July, but over December/January they were looking for USD 800 per night, which is about double and then some what most two bedroom, luxury villas are charging.

In July, USD 225 will usually get you something pretty good, so that's your benchmark.

Cheers.

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Well, they have quoted us more than US$225 for July but not US$800 (although they did try something on for a moment there...) still we are obviously paying at the top end for the period. Is July peak season??

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Safety in Villas

EpicurianSydney is quite right - even though Sentosa looks great and has all the amenities mentioned it is very expensive . Anyhow, it's your decision. Have a great holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Safety in Villas

Christmas/New Year, Easter and July/August are the peak seasons in bali.