We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewage Outlets

Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Sewage Outlets

Can someone please tell me if there are still the raw sewrage outlets along Seminyak and Legian beaches with the signs about not swimming between the flags because of contaminated water .

I haven’t been to Bali for 2 yrs and last time I was there I heard this was being fixed with pipes going out further into the ocean .

Thankyou Vonni

8 replies to this topic
Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,794 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Sewage Outlets

The rubbish washes up on the beach, do you think sewerage won't?

australia
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
2. Re: Sewage Outlets

Replies were given to your post dated 19th September.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Sewage Outlets

Ye, I think that if I know that there is sewage being pumped into the Ocean ( even a long way out ) then I don’t think that I will swim there

Cheers Mac 😎😎

3 posts
4. Re: Sewage Outlets

It can't be that bad, I've surfed off Legian, beyond the white water is alive with schools of pilchard.

Its the storm water run off you have to worry about more.

Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Sewage Outlets

Thankyou everyone.

And sorry BaliAustralia I didn’t see previous replies.

I will point out that I have been to Bali many times and have been swimming around Legian / Seminyak areas and I have never been sick .

It was only a few years ago I noticed those flags and signs .

Bali beaches are beautiful and I love my daily walks from Seminyak to Kuta and back .

Can’t wait to be back in January.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
889 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Sewage Outlets

I have zero knowledge on the sewage issues with Bali, but I did read this article from balidiscovery earlier this month, that highlighted how quickly and seriously a sewage issue was handled at a resort over in Nusa Dua that was contaminating the beachfront.

http://balidiscovery.com/news/less-than-mulia

It sounds like some parts of Bali (including the Kuta/Legian/Seminyak area) have an agency handling this kind of stuff now. Called the the LHK (Dinas Lingkungan Hidup dan Kebersihan), aka the Department of Environment and Hygiene.

Again, I have no clue what this really means, or if that agency is new or always existed? If it's an official branch of the government or not? Maybe some of the members who live on the island might know more?

Either way, I took comfort in the article mentioning that the agency had "handed down sanctions", "gave no tolerance on timing" to decontaminate, and ordered the hotel "to establish new and improved Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on waste management and sewage disposal".

So it sounded like a good sign to me. :)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: Sewage Outlets

The Mulia hotel has always been controversial since they started to build without the proper permits and taken over the public beach for their guests.The sewage spill is only the latest on their long line of problems. frankly.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
889 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Sewage Outlets

Hey MM! Can you tell us anymore about the LHK? Are they a newer agency that may not have been around when the OP saw the flags for sewage on the beach some years ago?

Reply to: Sewage Outlets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted