We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money changers in Seminyak

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
money changers in Seminyak

I encountered a dodgy money changer down an alleyway; he tried to deceive by giving 50,000Rp notes; tried to underpay by one million; then after I re-counted the other million appeared; then he re-handled the money so I elected to recount as I was having suspicions; again in this process he interfered and at one stage flicked one of the notes on to his lap on the other side of the counting table; at this stage I had had enough and retrieved my original Australian banknotes and advised he was "untrustworthy" and left returning to a reliable money changer.

During stay in Seminyak in first week of October I had no trouble with RC Money Changer Pt Sesari Valuti Asing at Jl Laksamana No. 88, Seminyak, and thoroughly recommend after two exchanges.

5 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: money changers in Seminyak

The best advise is to use money changers in the stand alone booths. Those down alley ways or who operate from a stall generally offer a higher exchange rate but they equalise it by trickery. It doesn't seem fair to include all operators from those places in this practise but it is the only safeguard. Personally, I don't believe using an ATM is a better solution.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: money changers in Seminyak

Well done, at least you picked up on it quick. Yes as Tazmo has said best if you have too is us the stand alone money changers. And if the price seems to good it is , and there creates the potential problem.

australia
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
3. Re: money changers in Seminyak

Most of us Bali travellers know never to visit dodgy money changers as this topic is well documented on TA. For many years we go to a stand alone glass booth opposite Chandi Restaurant on Jalan Kayu Aya (Laksmana) and there's also a booth under the stairs in Seminyak Square.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: money changers in Seminyak

Your first sentence said it all "dodgy money changer down an alleyway". This is how they operate, trying to catch out the unwary or anybody thinking they are going to get a better rate for their money. You are lucky you caught out the deception and got your money back. Many don't.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
296 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: money changers in Seminyak

The BMC places recommended by the TripAdvisors were very reliable.

Reply to: money changers in Seminyak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted