We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Hout Bay

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
562 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Hout Bay

Hi

I'm looking to start off our holiday in November with 2 nights in Hout Bay. I wanted to stay at The Tarragon, but they have a 3 night minimum stay, so back to TA!

I have found 2 places on Mount Rhodes Drive - the Dreamhouse and Villa Montebello and also Le Marais, which looks as though it is on the way into Hout Bay from Constantia.

Any thoughts on the best place to stay location wise.

The isea of staying in Hout Bay, was to take a drive down to the Cape Peninsula via Chapman's Peak and back via Simon's Town and also to do a spot of wine tasting in Constantia and Kirstenbosch.

Also I will definitely be wanting to take a trip in the evening to eat at Bistro 1682 at Steenberg

Any advise, will be most welcome

Thanks

Lisa

15 replies to this topic
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Shame about Tarragon Lisa, it's really excellent. A few years ago we also stayed at Amblewood with June & Trevor. They are great hosts & the situation sitting as it does on the hillside is perfect with great views over the bay.

A very active cold front passed through one evening. When we returned after dinner Trevor had lit a log fire in our bedroom! Needless to say the following day was warm & sunny.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g469392-d7347…

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Hi Nick

I looked at Amblewood but prefer more modern boutiquey type accommodation, which is why I looked at the ones I mentioned. Waiting for the Oracle of the Republic of Hout bay to reply (aka VDC!)

Not quite sure where Mount Rhodes Drive is - looking at the map it's out towards Llandudno, but not sure if this is a good place to stay or not

Not long until your holiday now!

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Hi Lisa,

Yes, Amblewood is rather old fashioned but very comfortable with great hosts.

Mount Rhodes drive is on the right as you start down the main road from Llandudno into Hout Bay.

What's the remainder of your November itinerary?

Not only not long to our holiday but much needed & anticipated. This time in 2 weeks BA59 should be nearly there!! Amazingly it's been 2 years, our longest time away since 1997. It won't happen again!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Hi Nick

Starting off in Hout Bay

Then off to Stellenbosch

Hermanus area - not sure where yet, maybe Grotto Beach or Sandbaai

Paternoster to my old favourite Ah

Wellington or Paarl

Prince Albert

McGregor - been persuaded by Macsym!

Rouxwil - near Villiersdorp

And finally the Waterkant in Cape Town - 21 nights in SA and can't wait!

Thanks for the location of Mount Rhodes Drive. Need to just decide which place to stay at!

Have a great time - 2 weeks not long to go now. A friend of mine is leaving Heathrow tonight for Cape Town. She is armed with lots of e mails on wineries and restaurants to visit!

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Thanks Lisa,

You'll have a great trip. Mcgregor has the charm of a small town surrounded by lovely scenery. Great walking country. We stayed at Green Gables, very clean & comfortable but hardly a boutique hotel. I doubt that they exist in this part of the world.

Some lovely wineries around Robertson & my favourite little Karoo town, Montagu. Try to make the tractor ride!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Hi Nick

Think we are going to stay in Tanagra in McGregor - gets good reviews on here and looks like our kind of place. Not least because they make wine too!

Got lots of planning to do - my favourite bit!!

Also according to macsym close to the best restaurant in McGregor

I bet you are counting down the days now

Lisa

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

12 Lisa, & counting!!! Yippee.

I totally agree, the planning is half the fun. I've just started putting together my folder containing e-tickets, confirmation emails, maps etc. etc. etc.

Then as soon as we get home, I start planning the 2013 trip!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Dear Lisa,

try to book at the Bistro for lunch very early as it is often fully booked. They also offer a really nice breakfast or go after 16.00 for tapas. The bistro does not (yet?) offer dinner, they normally close between 18.00 and 19.00 pm.

I hope it helps

Kind regards from a today really hot and beautiful blue skied Cape Town

Susanne

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

...and Lisa when you are in Paternoster, do have lunch at Oep ve Koep. Charming garden setting among the herbs, great service and real fresh food on the very short daily changing menu cooked by the charming owner Kobus. Light and perfect, even before a dinner at Ah! or after the (large)breakfast the next day!! Had fabulous mussels one day and perfect angel fish the next. Best to phone ahead 022 752 2105.

A&A send their best and looking forward to your visit. We left the day your friend was due to arrive!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,278 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Hout Bay

Susanne - I am fancying the tapas for an early evening dinner, but thanks for the booking tip

Macsym - what a shame you missed my friend! Really looking forward to Ah again and Arnold's wonderful breakfast. Have noted your lunch recommendation. Better start the diet now! You will be pleased to hear I have already booked into Tanagra and we will be there on a weekend!

Lisa

Reply to: Where to stay in Hout Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hout Bay