We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas closures??

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
165 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
christmas closures??

hi gang....can you please give me an idea when businesses are likely to be closed over xmas period? we´re arriving in franschhoek for 5 nights (1st port of call on longer trip) on 22nd december. for instance....are shop opening hours shortened xmas eve? we´re self catering so that we´re not 100% dependent on restaurants...there´re likely to be very full indeed. will however need to stock up at deli´s/wine shops for the festive grub. we´d love to have a gourmet picnic one day, but not sure if this is an option at such a busy time. any advice most welcome. cheers- lorraine

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas closures??

The shops are open and only closed on x-mas day it self. We do notknow " heilige abend" in SA.

Have fun.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
165 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas closures??

thankyou...good to know. you guessed it...i live in germany where everything is clsd 24-26th dec...but i´m english and used to places reopening on 26th. am really looking fwd to our week in south africa. thx again for your help. Lorraine

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas closures??

Glad Ii could help. Here most big shop are open on the 26th again. Also most restaurants are clost on the first x mas day!

Edited: 9:47 am, December 03, 2012
4. Re: christmas closures??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 16, 2013