We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Grill Room

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
The Grill Room

Anyone eaten at the Grill Room Franschhoek (opened March 2010) Would love to hear what you thought. We went there on our last night in Franschhoek. Service was dreadfully slow and when the food did eventually arrive my Ostrich steak was almost raw. I was offerered something else but by that time it was too late and our daughter was falling asleep. Very disappointing last evening in Franschhoek. Any other comments.

Hoboken, NJ
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Grill Room

My husband and I just went to The Grill Room this past Friday night (Sept. 3rd) at the recommendation of our guest house owner. We both ordered starters (me - prawns/him - salad with chicken) and steak as our mains, and everything came timely and to order. And since our steaks came with only potatoes, they gave us a family style vegetables to share on the house. We enjoyed our dinner and would recommend it to anyone staying in Franschhoek.

Edited: 7:00 pm, September 06, 2010
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Grill Room

Glad you had a good meal, maybe we caught them on an "off night". If we back to Franschhoek we should perhaps give it another go. Thanks for you comments.

Franschhoek
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Grill Room

Who would want to eat at a restaurant where they serve the steaks on an - unhygienic - wooden plank (which was fashionable in Europe in the '70's, but luckily quickly abandoned) Staff is friendly, management seems to think managing the guests in an not so friendly way is part of their role profile. Many better restaurants in F'hoek.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Grill Room

Suggest you go to Ryans Kitchen opposite, IMO some of the best food to be had in Franschhoek

Cape Town Central...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: The Grill Room

My wife and I went there for our 16th wedding anniversary. It was a cold Friday night, but the restaureant was cozy, and the service was outstanding. The fillet steaks we both ordered were, quite honestly (and I know people say this too often), the very best we have ever experienced. Cooked to prefection, and tender beyond belief. A great night...

Edited: 10:31 am, April 29, 2011
Surrey
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Grill Room

The meal we had was exceptionally bland.

As someone suggested earlier in this thread, I cannot see why anyone would go to the Grill Room when there are so many better restaurants in the area. Why go to the 'gourmet capital of the Cape' and then choose a pseudo-Berni Inn?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Grill Room

Shouldn't you all post a review here?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g469391-d1…

Edited: 1:42 pm, November 22, 2011
8. Re: The Grill Room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, November 23, 2012