We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chamonix Farm

Aussie
Level Contributor
29 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Chamonix Farm

We spent a few nights at Chamonix wine farm in Franschoek a few months ago. We had a wonderful experience. Self catering. We had a rental car so the 1.5km run downhill to town was not an issue. The town & surrounding area felt completely safe.

I REALLY recommend a drive to Wellington to try some of the wines there (not that we had any bad ones in Franschoek).

At Wellington, Dimmersfontein wine farm was great for lunch and some of their Pinotage (Chocolate & Coffee flavours)as was Doolhof (a bit further out of town on a dirt road) for their Shiraz.

Overall the wines of the Western Cape were impressive. Great Sauvignon blancs & Chenin blancs especially.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chamonix Farm

TC's - glad to hear that you had such a nice time.

What were your favourite wines/wineries in or around Franschhoek ?

Did you try the Chamonix Pinot Noir - it has recently won a number of awards

Aussie
Level Contributor
29 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chamonix Farm

The Pinot didn't stick in my memories from Chamonix, but as well as our tasting at the cellar door, we took a bottle of chenin blanc with us to our cabin to have with dinner.

In Australia we don't see many chenin blancs - except in a blend. I was very impressed.

In Australia, the best sauvignon blancs we can lay our hands on come from New Zealand, but the South African SBs drank very well also.

Another memorable day was spent at Spier - wine tasting and patting the cheetahs and also patting a meerkat!

3. Re: Chamonix Farm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 25, 2009