We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Which Franschhoek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

We will be staying in Franschhoek in late June. We want to make reservations at some of the better restaurants in Franschhoek. We have 3 children, ages 10, 11, and 14. They are well-behaved and very accustomed to eating at nice restaurants and having afternoon tea at Four Seasons, Harrods, etc. What I am saying is that they will not be ordering chicken strips and french fries or pizza. Can we still go to places like The Tasting Room and the other highly-recommended restaurants?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Lynn

I have seen children the same age as yours at most of the restaurants in Franschhoek, including the Tasting Room. Be aware though that the Tasting Room doesn't offer an a la carte menu, and the degustation menu may be too much food, or not to their taste. (It has been found to be too "out there" by some adults not used to cutting edge cuisine). It might be useful to check out the Tasting Room indicative menu on the web and see what they think of it.

PS- The last time I was there I took photos of each course...happy to send you those for a closer look!

London
Level Contributor
80 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Your children will be welcome in any restaurant in Franschhoek in June as this is the middle of their 'green season' which also means that you shouldn't have a problem getting a table unlike the tourist packed days of Nov, Feb and March.

Enjoy Franschhoek at it's quietest and best.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Thanks, I will look at their menu on-line. When you say "cutting edge", do you mean exotic, out-of-the mainstream animals?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Sorry, not "cutting edge". I meant to say "out there".

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Lynn

No, they don't use exotic animals, just innovative ways with food combinations and presentation..here's the link to the 4 or 6 course menu..

lequartier.co.za/cuisine/the-tasting-room#ta…

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Hello Lyn

The Tasting Room do have a stated policy for Children :

"If chidren will eat and pay the full price for foie gras, they will be seated and served"

As ctrf says I don't think they compromise on their tasting menus for children.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

Thanks, everyone. I am not sure if we will go to The Tasting Room, but at least I know what the deal is for Franschhoek restaurants.

8. Re: Great restaurants for families in Franschhoek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 am, October 23, 2009