We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franschhoek with no car??

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Franschhoek with no car??

My husband and I are working through some details on a SA trip. We will be spending time in Capetown and would like to go to Franschhoek for 2 days/nights. We prefer not to rent/hire a car as we've never driven on the right side and wouldn't want to mix driving with visiting the wineries. Two questions:

1. How can we get to Franschhoek from Capetown?

2. Are there any recommended "tours" so we can visit a few wineries without driving between them?

We will stay near the center of town, so no worries about that.

Thanks!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Hi there

You can easily get a transfer from Cape Town to Franschhoek..i can dig out the one we use if you need a suggestion...

There are a few winery tours around but the best idea I think would be to make up your own itinerary and get someone to take you to the places you want to go for a full day tour, maybe with lunch at say Bread and Wine..the second day (if you don't mind a walk) you could visit two or three local wineries within walking distance of town and have a lunch at one of them..

Happy to help with suggestions..

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

If you wouldn't mind giving a suggestion for a transfer service from CT to F that would be great.

How much would it be to "hire a driver" for a day to take us around? We'd probably go to 2 or 3 wineries.

I love the suggestion for the 2nd day of doing lunch and a couple wineries within walking distance to town.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

For CT airport to Franschhoek we used Koen Dehaene at Phomolo Travel (email is info@phomolotravel.co.za). The rate for 2 was 400 rand.

We've never taken a wine tour from Franschhoek, but know that Phomolo does them:

"An exciting journey through South Africa’s pride and prestige; we taste wine at 5 carefully selected, top-of-the-range wine estates spread across the idyllic and historical regions of Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl.

Price: R 450 pp. (half-day R300 pp, 3 top-of-the-range wine estates in Franschhoek)"- [check current prices]

As does winelands experience (www.winelands-experience.com).

If I didn't have a car but wanted to go tasting, and there was only two of us, I'd be attracted to getting a car and driver but devising your own itinerary based on what you would most like to visit, rather than where the tour operator wants to take you. You might be able to arrange this with one of the existing tour providers (you don't need a guide to visit the wineries, unless you intend to imbibe so enthusiastically that you need help finding the car). If this appeals then I'm sure with assistance from the other forum regulars we could devise an interesting day or two.

The other thing about a walking tour of the wineries close to Franschhoek is the great unknown of weather. Depending on when you are coming there may well be days when walking around is just not feasible, and you need a backup plan.

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

OK, thanks for your advice. As the trip gets closer I'll post again. We may end up renting a car - I'll have to figure all of this out. But thanks for your recommendations.

Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Don't people drive on the left side of the road in South Africa......?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

They do..something to consider Traveltilly if you are coming from the USA and haven't done it before (although it wouldn't be a bad place to do a initial "wrong side" experience...mine was driving through the middle of Paris in a manual sedan!)

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

I found a decent tour through detourafrica.co.za but there seems to be quite a few options out there-just takes a bit of time.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Have car - it then gives you the freedom to do what you like and when.

We spent 3 nights in Franschhoek and loved the place so much booking to return next Xmas already.

It's very relaxed and casual, nice restaurants (you may have to book ahead for certain ones) .

Edinburgh
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Hi,

Have a look at Winelands Experience - http://www.winelands-experience.com/

They are located in Franschhoek and provide airport transfers, city transfers and wine-tastings (on horseback is also an option) in the valley.

Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Franschhoek with no car??

Hi everyone, our trip is only 6 weeks away! We decided to rent a car and it will be nice to have the flexibility. On our first day we'll arrive in Franschhoek around noon and have lunch reservations at Bread & Wine. I thought it would be nice, on our first afternoon, to walk to a few wineries near town (we're staying at Plumwood Inn). Any suggestions?