We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Hi , may be you can help us, we are travelling next week to Durban and staying there for a couple of days and then hiring a game in Hluluwe for 3 days , on the next day we wanted to drive to the Drakensberg mountains to be able to see something different, beach - game - mountains.... do you know if we need to take the malaria pills? we only have this week and next week before the weekend so we the time is running out...

do you know also how long would it take us to drive from Hluluwe to the Drakensberg mountains and from there back to Durban ? as our plan was to drive back to Durban on the day we have to fly back to London.

Hope you are able to help us,

thank you very much!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Hi

You do not need to take Malaria tabs in the Drakensberg.

It depends where in the Drakensberg you are going (they are a very long mountain range) but from Hluhluwe to the Southern Berg you are looking at 4.5 hours. From the Southern berg back to Durban you are looking at 2 hours driving.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Thank you , which one would you recommend , the Southern Drakensberg ? or the Northern ones? we really like scenary , love the pics I have seen with the mountains and the lakes but also the ones with the clouds coming into the mountains and the waterfalls. Please would you be able to help us pick ?

Does it take a lot of time more to get to the Northern Drakenberg ones?

Thank you again!

Salt Rock, South...
Level Contributor
249 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

I would disagree slightly with the 2 hours driving from the Southern Drakensberg to Durban. I would suggest it is 3 hours using Underberg to King Shaka International Airport, Google will tell you 2 hours 46 minutes.

Central Drakensberg is slightly quicker using Bergville as an example, 2 hours 40 minutes

Northern Drakensberg using Royal Natal National Park as an example is 4 hours 22 minutes.

Regards

Ian

Owner - The saffron House Guesthouse.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Royal Natal is exquisite and certainly my favourite part of the Berg but it is quite far.

Otherwise you might want to try somewhere like the Giants castle region or the Sani Pass region.

London, United...
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Royal Natal has my favourite view in the country!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

yes it does tell me that if I go to the Royal Natal zone it takes like 4 hours... it's a shame because it looks amazing...

Ukhahlamba is in the sani-pass... and I checked is 2 hours almost 3 to Durban...

thank you so much for your help....

Nareni

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

A useful map of the area can be downloaded from the web site below. Note that the N3 exit off-ramps are numbered in approximate kilometers from Durban, not consecutively. Note also that if going to central or northern 'berg the best exit is 194 and via Winterton - (exit 179 via Loskop has lots of people, taxis and speed bumps!)

www.drakensberg-tourist-map.com/drakmap.pdf

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

Hello and you need to allow close to 5 hours from the reserve to the Berg. You can across from Stanger via Greytown which will save you on miles but not time. The road out of the reserve and into the berg is generally slow. It takes me two and half hours from Durban to Estcourt which is 50 kms from Ginats Castle. Depending on your budget there is Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse in the southern Berg, Cathedral Peak in the central Berg and Drakensberg Mountain reach close to the northern Berg. Then the KZNW reserves at Didima & Giants Castke are great and you have a choice of self catering or eating at their restaurants, which we found to be very good and great value. I holiday twice a year in the areas you are looking at and if you need more info please ask.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

9. Re: From Hluluwe to Drakensberg mountains - next week ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 21, 2014