We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a 11-year old to Drakenberg - help with itine

atlanta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with a 11-year old to Drakenberg - help with itine

After a 10 day safari in Kenya-Tanzania, I will reaching Johannesburg by last week of July. After 2 days in Johannesburg, we will visit Victoria Falls (2-3 days). After that, I still have 4-5 days to visit Drakenburg.

Initially, I had thought of visiting the Central Drakenburg (2 days) and proceed to Durban for 2 days and then take the train back to Johannesburg, to catch my return flight.

But, after reading the posts in this forum, I am excited to visit Northern Drakenburg as well. If needed, I can skip Durban altogether. Both of us can do some day hikes (5-7 miles, 3-4 hours is ideal)

1. Can you please suggest itinerary? Can you also please suggest some budget places to stay? It need not be fancy but it should be comfortable. I am more concerned about the cold.

2. Is it better for me to rent the car for this leg of 5 days? Or, is it very easy to go from a place to a place (from JoBerg to Northern Berg to Central Berg) easy with private or public transport?

3. How cold does it get? Is a jacket, jeans pant and gloves enough? or, do we need more serious winter gear?

4. Any safety tips? As such we have done a fair amount of independent travel in South and Central America, most recently to Galapagos.

Thank you.

1. Re: Traveling with a 11-year old to Drakenberg - help with itine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, February 21, 2015