We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

Southampton, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

Hi,

I'm flying into Cape Town and driving to Addo, next week. I've booked to stay at the Matyholweni Rest Camp and am then planning on driving up through the park to the Main Camp.

I've read that the roads are gravel but suitable for normal sedans. However, I have also read that the roads can be difficult after rain, which I understand can occur at this time of year. I've booked to hire a VW Polo but I'm wondering whether this will be suitable or whether I should be upgrading to a SUV. Could you give me some advice please?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

I have not been in Addo for some years, so perhaps someone who has been recently can give you an updated report, but, unless the roads have deteriorated remarkably, an ordinary sedan car should be OK.

I went there a few years ago, in an ordinary Hyundai sedan.

By the way, when in Addo, please don't drive over any Elephant or Buffalo pooh, because the pooh may contain dung beetles, which are endangered, and protected.

Enjoy your trip.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

If any of the roads aren't drivable, because of heavy rain (which is really, really seldom), the park officials will close the roads. This is to protect the roads.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

VW polo is our hire car of choice! Should be fine - as lamlee points out, road closures do occur so a 4x4 could be an unwarranted extra cost.

4. Re: Current road conditions/suitable vehicle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, March 18, 2015