We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Does anyone know of shuttles to/from Port Elizabeth and Addo park? Do taxis do this route and if yes, what would the average cost be?

Thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

If you don't hire a car and you are staying inside Addo, how are you planning on getting around Addo? You can only take so many game drives before they become dull and repetitive, as they can only go an hour into the park, before they have to turn back. You will also hear the same stories.

If you are planning to stay in Addo and are relying on game drives, I suggest you rather look at staying at one of the private game reserves rather. Schotia and Amakhala are the cheapest. There at least you will get good long game guides.

If you are planning to stay outside Addo, the place that you stay at will probably organise good full day trips to Addo for you.

Edited: 3:39 am, July 19, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Thank you Lamlee. I am considering staying in the park accommodations because it would be the most affordable of the options. I haven't found a private game reserve that would fit the bill yet, but would take a look at your suggestions.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

As lamlee says if you don't have a car I wouldn't stay in the park. We normally spend ten hours a day self driving. Park drives - a few hours a day - are really to complement self drive. Without a car you would hang around the camp much of the day with little to do.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Hi,

J.C. Shuttle Services are reliable and offer a shuttle service from Port Elizabeth to Eastern Cape Game Reserves. Suggest you contact Wally on 27 83 5902169. Fares depend on number of passengers.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Hi,

J.C. Shuttle charges R700 for 1 to 3 persons (P.E. to Eastern Cape Reserves) and R800 for 4 pax.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Thanks TouristGuide. Very helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Question-are these rates for J.C. Shuttle one-way fares to get to a game park, or round trip?

We need to get to Hlosi in November and I am starting to think about transportation...

Thanks,

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Hi,

These are one way.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

Thanks for clarifying.

10. Re: Transportation to/from Port Elizabeth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, June 18, 2013