We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

We will be driving from the airport at PE to the Addo Rest Camp this weekend and are looking for somewhere to purchase food supplies on the way. We would prefer not to stop in PE, however would welcome any suggestions. Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Addo Rest Camp
Addo Rest Camp
481 Reviews
Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa
Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Thank you so much! It was great having a look at the neighbourhood. We fly out tomorrow and I am so excited!

Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Hi all

I am sure none of you will be surprised to hear that we have made it back to Australia safe and sound, with an "incident-free" trip to South Africa.

Driving was so easy, great roads, mostly courteous drivers. Roads were well sign posted and we found it very easy to find our way from place to place, including the supermarket in PE.

We felt safe everywhere we went. Of course we took sensible precautions, but I can honestly say there was never a point where I was concerned for our safety or the security of our belongings.

I big highlight of the trip was Addo! It was pouring rain on the day after we arrived and we had the BEST sightings that day. So many elephants all over the road. Unbelievable!

So a big thanks go out to you all for your advice and guidance. It really was appreciated.

Cheers

Ms Paranoid

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Elly Jo

So pleased you had a wonderful time and thanks for coming back and completing the thread. Many people coming to South Africa have reservations due to the scare stories that appear in the media - particularly in countries like Australia and the UK.

As you found the reality for tourists is totally different. Fortunately, particularly since the World Cup, these stories and subsequent questions here on TA are getting fewer and fewer.

Everyone should post their real experiences - positive and negative - so that future first time visitors come with the correct expectations. Currently, on here, the positive reports outweigh the negative by more than a hundred to one!

Fantastic that you had a wonderful time and I hope you will be back again soon to see more of this amazing country.

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Which shop did you choose eventually? Was it okay? Did you find everything you wanted?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

The Pick 'n Pay is a good bet as above, and as long as your luggage is covered, and there are no handbags, purses or sunglasses left in full view, it will be fine. Get a parking near the doors if you are worried.

There is a small shop at Addo, so you can purchase milk, bread, wood, wine, beers, tins etc there as an option. We do this sometimes - way easier than hauling it all in ourselves, or just eat at the restaurant!

BIG NOTE: You are not allowed any citrus fruits into the park, so don't buy any of that on your shopping trip.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

Whoops sorry - didn't flip forward. You are back! Thanks for the update! I feel like a banana!

17. Re: food supplies enroute to Addo from PE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 23, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Addo Elephant National...