We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re safari Tents Addo

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Question re safari Tents Addo

Hi there

This may seem like a silly question so thanks in advance for your help. We are planning to stay at Addo for a night in November and as it happens the rondavels are fully booked and a lot of the chalets. So..we are considering staying in one of the safari tents to be closer to the watering hole but my question is -

is it safe to stay there without a lock on the door being a tent eg if we go off to do an early game drive is it ok to leave our suitcases there. I dont want to sound paranoid or be insulting so I hope this isnt too bad a question.

Also how far away by foot would the furthest cottages and chalets within the main restcamp be ? Thanks so much.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

Not a silly question. It is good to be safety conscious.

In our government run national parks, like Addo or Kruger, safari tents are huge spacious units, virtually always about two metres tall with a strong wooden lockable door and wooden window frames.

They are not exactly the small type of tents you take on a hiking trip.

Good idea to take a safari tent if the other units are not available.

Edited: 10:43 am, July 22, 2010
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

Did I mention that these tents in Addo (and elsewhere) have proper beds with linen, a fridge and fan?

For pics of the tents go to www.sanparks.org

Click on Make reservation (on the right), then click availability, then Addo, and then click safari tents

Dublin
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

Thanks very much Navigator -great to get some inside knowledge and you have set my mind at rest.

I think we will go for the tents then.

Cheers,

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

As Navigator points out, the Safari tents at Addo are permanent structures with lockable doors. They just happen to have canvas walls and plastic windows. But perfectly safe to leave stuff while you are out.

However, unlike many of the safari tents in Kruger Camps, the Addo tents have neither their own kitchen facilities or private bathrooms. You need to use communal facilities which are just a few metres away - but you will need to go outside if you need the loo during the night. So don't forget to take a good torch!

sanparks.org/parks/…

On the other hand they are cheap. Less than half the price of a chalet - which do however have their own kitchen and bathroom and much more space.

Also the Safari tents have a very good situation. They are all on the perimeter, with private terraces. You will see Elephants, Kudu and sometimes other animals from the terrace while you are having your breakfast. Click on the pictures in the above link.

They are also close to the Restaurant, shop and drive centre - about 50 metres. Look at the following map. The rondavels are about 2 mins walk from the restaurant. The furthest chalets about 5 mins, as are the cottages and Forest Cabins. Nowhere is more than two mins drive to the gate into the Main Game Area.

sanparks.org/parks/…layout_big.jpg

Edited: 5:05 pm, July 22, 2010
Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

Hey,

I stayed in a safari tent at Addo in November 2009 and they are brilliant! Beds are comfortable, they have a balcony to take in the passing game. Within 2 minutes of arriving we had an elephant welcome us directly the other side of the fence! Also a troop of vervet monkeys, tortoise, buffalo, and kudu. Please book it you will not be disappointed!

6. Re: Question re safari Tents Addo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 26, 2011