We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

night drive question

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
night drive question

if we are not staying within addo national park, but outside the gates can we still book night drives and how can we book?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: night drive question

This page from the Addo web site suggests you could come out after the gate closes

at 7PM if you let them know ahead of time - sanparks.org/parks/addo/tourism/general.php - but I think a phone call would be the best idea/

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: night drive question

The main Rest Camp at Addo NP is directly linked to the Main gate onto the Patterson - Addo main road (R342). You don't need to go through any game areas to exit the park. As Dave says, if you make specific arrangements beforehand, the night security at the Main gate will have your car number and allow you out. You will get back to the main camp around 10:00pm in summer - earlier in winter. So inform where you are staying that you will be back late. Also drive carefully when driving back. Some of the roads in this area get potholed (especially after a rainy spell) and there also might be domestic animals and occasionally Kudu on the roads.

Book ahead of time directly with the camp office by phone +27 42 233 8621

Cost is R225 per person (plus R130 pp Park Entrance fee).

Just one personal opinion. For a single drive I prefer the Sunset Drive at Addo rather than the night drive - I have been on both. Going out just before sunset you see both daytime and night time animals (remember it gets dark pretty quickly). It is normally fully dark by the time you return.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: night drive question

Sunset Drive.. Never knew of it, and now I will always think of it. Thanks..

4. Re: night drive question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:43 am, January 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Addo Elephant National...