We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private game reserve or Addo Elephant Park?

Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Private game reserve or Addo Elephant Park?

We are a group of 4 adult family members travelling to South Africa in June for a wedding. The wedding is in Hermanus.

Besides the time we plan on spending in Hermanus for the pre-wedding and wedding activities, we have 8 days to visit the Cape Town-Garden Route area. I'm working on an itinerary, but the first priority is some game viewing, as for most of us it may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Africa.

I'm looking for insight on spending a few days at a private game reserve vs the Addo Elephant Park. We're looking for a well-rounded safari-type experience, with the most game viewing as possible. Most private game reserves seem very expensive to our taste, but we're willing to stretch our budget if it the best way to view animals.

Any recommendations? What are the main differences between the National Park and private game reserves? Does 3 days sound like a reasonable amount of time in either of these places for a safari?

Thanks for any insight...

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Private game reserve or Addo Elephant Park?

Glad you decided to go to Addo. i too have been to Shamwari but was lucky enough to get a last minute resident's deal for one night 7 or 8 years ago. i certainly wouldn't be prepared to fork out rack rates. We also stayed at Addo onthe same trip and had a whale of a time. enjoy.

22. Re: Private game reserve or Addo Elephant Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, December 03, 2009