We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Title says it all, I wanted to sleep in Addo Elephan park but it's fully booked. My only option is to arrive at Addo at 1PM and get out at 6PM. Is it still worth it?

12 replies to this topic
Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
834 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Yes......

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,415 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Keep checking. Cancellations happen.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Addo used to allow people to go on the night drive that weren't staying in the park. You will obviously have to be out of the game area by 6pm, but could then possibly have a quick supper in the park and then do the night drive? Not sure what time it is now.

Not sure whether you can still do this. Maybe, others know better.

Centurion, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
125 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

I fully agree that it's worth visiting for 5 hours. Also endorse the recommendations to keep checking for reservations and investigate the night drive.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
725 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Why do you want to sleep in the park? Would you have time the following morning for another early drive? As suggested above, keep checking accommodation daily. If nothing comes up, maybe you could find something nearby and still enter the park again early morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

The Addo dilemma keeps coming back to haunt me. Ultima-Forsan, if you end up going, please let me know what it was like for a 5 hour visit.

I too want to go to Addo but I have time restrictions too.

7. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, October 17, 2017

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

Is anyone able to confirm that you can do the night drive if you're not staying in the park? Thanks!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

my daughter is staying at nearby Woodall Lodge who have arranged a Sanparks sunset drive in the Addo for this afternoon, so I am almost certain that you do not have to be staying inside the park to go on their organised drives. The entrance to the Main gate was open all hours when I was there last year but the gates to the viewing routes opens and closes at sun rise/sunset , so ,even if you stay inside the park you are still limited to the hours you can self drive if not on an organised sunset or night drive.

If you are in the vicinity of Addo it is certainly worth a short visit.

There are lots of places to stay out side of the Park which may be more comfortable than Sanparks accommodation inside the park. I found it to be too basic for me.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?

in the last few hours my daughter has sent some photos of her trip today to the Addo.

She self drove during the day and saw herds of elephants (50+) . later she took a sunset drive organised by Sanparks, her photos of the lions were fabulous, very close ups of cubs and the male brothers Mel and Gibson.

She says it was well worth the trip and compared to her few drives in the Kruger.

Reply to: Is it worth it visiting Addo Elephant park for 5 hours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted