We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

Schiedam, The...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

Hello eveyone!

From what I understand Nyathi Rest Camp has opened in Addo Elephant National Park in September 2016 but besides a couple of stories about the opening I can't seem to find any reviews about the accomodation which is supposed to be open for about 7 months now which seems a bit odd for me. My wife, 17 month old daugther and myself are planning a Cape Town, Garden Route round trip this September/October and also plan to visit Addo for a night or 3/4 around 7/8 October. I already have a booking for 3 nights at the main camp for the small CH2 chalet but when I checked booking system of Sanparks I found out there is a "new" camp with luxury units in beautiful surroundings which still has full availability for my dates.

To take a long story short, has anyone experienced this new camp already and what are your thoughts? Is it worth the ZAR 1.800 per unit per night? Are there any game drive routes in the Nyathi area to drive or do you always have to go to the main game drive area? Is the camp fenced? Is the unit suitable for a small child?

Please let me know as the photos I have seen do look tempting. But on the other hand I would miss out on the waterhole at main camp and the birdhide which we could easily visit with or without my little girl

Cheers,

Michel

Mentioned in this post
Nyathi Rest Camp
Nyathi Rest Camp
28 Reviews
Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa
Addo Elephant National Park
Addo Elephant National...
2,639 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
16 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

Hello. I stayed at the Nyathi Rest Camp for one night in early May. This camp is situated outside the main game area, and you need to access it via a gate about 10-15 min north of the Main Camp. You basically need to exit the game area, cross a road/railway that divides the Park, then re-enter via another gate to the Nyathi section of the Park in the north. These gates are now manually operated from 6am to 6pm, that means a person sits at the guard kiosk and opens and closes the gates whenever a vehicle is entering the Nyathi section. He also records vehicle and passenger information in the log book.

Once in the Nyathi section, there is only one road towards the rest camp, which is about another 15 min away. The rest camp is fenced and you will need to manually open and close a gate when you reach the camp. There is a sign which tells you to open and close it yourself.

There are no other roads/tracks to explore as far as I could tell. There is nothing in this section, which is a good thing; it gives you all the peace and quiet you want. You can hear alot of bird sounds in early morning. I did run into two herds of elephants on my way to the camp. They did not give me any trouble but I was quite thrilled to run into them in my own vehicle.

The rest camp was in good condition, in fact it felt brand new. There are a total of 8 lodges, all with plunge pools, kitchen, utensils, attached bathroom with bath tub and showers. Hot water and electricity running. As you would expect, lots of bugs/insects at night. There was a scorpion on the floor, but other than that, nothing too scary.

Mentioned in this post
Nyathi Rest Camp
Nyathi Rest Camp
28 Reviews
Schiedam, The...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

Thank you very much for your very detailed report CHM1, greatly appreciated!

Basingstoke UK
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

My wife and I are also booked in to Nyathi for 2 nights in October. I was hoping to us the Restaurant in Main Camp for diner, and do Sunrise and Night game drives. However, I now find that we are confined to our accommodation in Nyathi between 18:00 and 06:00, so no Restaurant or Game Drives, as they are also only available at Main Camp! Hey ho!?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
16 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

When we were there in May, we bought take-out from the restaurant at the Main Camp and brought it back to the lodge. They do have a working kitchen, with pots and pans and utensils inside the lodge. U should be able to cook a full meal if u are up for it. We were too lazy to try, so we just used the microwave.

5. Re: Anyone already stayed at Nyathi Rest Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 23, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Addo Elephant National...