We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Long Island
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

My mom and I just got back from Wildwood and after looking for weeks at all the motels I knew this wasn't a real "resort" area like were use to down at Disney World. I had to go for a Dance competition, but thankfully for only one night. it was about 4-5 hour drive down to wildwood. We looked for weeks at places to stay and we finally picked one. I would've stayed at the Wildwood Crest if i knew the layout of things. We only walked th boardwalk but after going to Ocean City, Maryland for YEARS for dance competition for my old dance studio many years ago I would suggest going there if your looking for a boardwalk type vacation. This boardwalk is very small only 2 miles long and not much to do honestly. There are rides and a waterpark area but again not big at all and my dance teacher the owner of my studio made this her vacation and she said its very expensive to go to the attractions. There are go karts ect... but like I said if your looking for a "real" family vacation I would suggest Ocean City over Wildwood take the extra time to drive there its worth it! They have real Hotels not just dumpy motel's to stay at! Thats my opinon sorry I just wanted to give my feed back on our stay. Again we only stayed one night! But, if you do go here stay at the crest area its alot nicer and a much better beach area. Also i would reserach if your going in the summer time "next year" if dance competitions are coming to the convention center because they bring a ton of kids and families!

Pennsylvania
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Disney Fan

First let me say everyone has a right to his or her opinion and everyone's opinions are different. That's quite obvious when you read these forums and someone rates some place like it's the scum of the earth and the next person rates the same place like it's a palace! As a recent visitor to Wildwood this past June and also a visitor to Ocean City a few years ago I would like to address your comments. We stayed at the Brittany in center Wildwood. The room was spacious and clean. The stafff was very friendly and accomodating. On Wednesday they even provided a lunch consisting of hamburgers, hot dogs and macaroni and potato salad for all their guests. As far as the boardwalk and nothing to do, my daughter and I had no problems keeping busy our 5 days in Wildwood. She enjoyed trying the Claw Machines and I will admit they get expensive and in most cases you don't walk away with any prizes, but we did spend time in an arcade, without spending a lot of money, and with all the tokens we won during the week she was able to bring home a lava lamp, a fiber optic lamp and three or four other small items. She was very happy with her prizes! As far as the attractions, I was able to purchase discount combo passes for the waterpark and all 3 amusement piers at what I felt was a reasonable price. Again, we both had a great time. I guess to sum it up for me personally and maybe I'm not that hard to please, I would recommend both Ocean City and Wildwood. I've always enjoyed going to OC and after visiting Wildwood for the first time after many, many years, I enjoyed that as well. In fact, I'm looking forward to going back again next year!

North Wildwood
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Sorry you didn't care for Wildwood. However you are entitled to your opinion.

How can you say there isn't much to do on the boardwalk? There are more rides in that "small" two mile boardwalk than your beloved Disney has.

One night really doesn't give you much time, let alone with your dance competition to take it all in. I noticed you never even mentioned the beaches or the ocean.

It must all be a blur to you.

I suggest you return when you have more time and experience the "real" Wildwood.

Maybe check our reviews here and ask questions before you book a place to stay this time?

Pittsburgh, PA
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

I'm not sure what the original poster was looking for. Our family spent a week their the first week of July and had a great time. A two mile boardwalk too short? Can't agree with that at all. As long as you can find a good motel to stay at, you can't beat Wildwood for a great family vacation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

I have been going to Wildwood for YEARS and granted its not for everyone but there seems to be something for everyone. In recent years, they have done alot to clean it up and get rid of the older, run down motels. A two mile boardwalk is small.....are you kidding me?

Maryland
Level Contributor
157 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Im not sure what the original poster was looking for either. I live and Maryland and have been going to Ocean City since I was a little kid. I personally love Wildwood and think that there boardwalk it much bigger and better. They have lots more rides and fun things to do. I do think the beach is better in Ocean City, not such a long walk as widwood. And I do agree that Ocean City has "real" hotels but you pay a fortune. I love the little mom and pop hotels of Wildwood. My husband and I have gone there the last 3 summers and we are getting ready to go again in 2 weeks for a long weekend. We stay at a different place each time just to see what each place has to offer. You just have to do your research to see what the rooms have to offer and where they are located. We usually just go to OC for a day now as it has gotten so expensive and a place for teenagers to hang out!! Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I thought you might want to hear from someone that grew up near OC.

New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Agree generally with CK Travel but must note that it is not accurate to say that Wildwood "got rid of the older, run-down motels." Wildwood got rid of the motels where condo developers wanted to build and operators succumbed to the temptation to cash out and retire in a boom market--which included some of the better older motels. Money talks... often in foul language.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Sorry you didn't do the research ahead of time - to know about staying in Wildwood Crest for nicer accomodations. Also, how could you experience Wildwood in only one night? How old are you anyway? Did your dance teacher not give you any money for all the "expensive" attractions? Did you go to the beach? Did you stay in a dump because you or your dance teacher didn't research the area ahead of time?

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

I agree with the other posts that you did not spend enough time in Wildwood to really have the "Wildwood experience!" Of course, what makes Wildwood "magic" for us "regulars" is the memories that come pouring back every time we return. I have been to Disney several times, and it was nice, but I just never feel the same magic there. Perhaps because there is no real beach or ocean in Disney world, no salt air to take a deep breath of upon arrival, and no real original boardwalk. Wildwood's boardwalk is unplanned, in a way. It changes, and grows, but it's always a surprise. The little stores may not be as fancy as Mainstreet, USA, but they each have their own personality. I don't think a newcomer can see Wildwood the same as a regular visitor, unless, of course, you have an experienced Wildwood visitor show you all the fun so you, too, can make some memories! Oh, those Wildwood days!!!

New York
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

I have to agree with the original poster. There are rides however that can keep people busy if they enjoy theme parks. The boardwalk was boring too-- it had boring typical tourist tshirt shops, fake tatoo parlors and fudge shops-- what else was there? I was also was not crazy about the prospect of walking over a desert the length of two football fields just to get down to the water!!! I would not recommend Wildwood-- but if you want to get away with the kids for a not so expensive vacation-- then only stay for 3 nights tops and you really need to look into the area you pick to stay. I stayed at a really nice bed and breakfast a few blocks from the boardwalk-- but the neighborhood surrounding it was horrible. The people were noisy- breaking out into fights at 3am... I felt like I was in a ghetto atmosphere. Not the type of place I wanted to relax in. Wildwood had a dirty feel to the place over all. I would never return to Wildwood.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Wouldn't Recommend Wildwood for a Vacation sorry!

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize that they can get away from the party atmosphere of the Wildwood motels by staying in the nicer accommodations of Wildwood Crest. Read the reviews of Wildwood crest and you'll see that hundreds of people love this vacation destination! Don't believe the few negative people who don't want to cross a wide beach, or who are bored by a 2 mile long boardwalk full with 4 piers, a water park, arcades, monster truck rides, fudge shops, and a tram car... See for yourself what the Jersey shore is all about. It's not a 4 star resort - but it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the country! And it's fun! Trust me.