We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Old Greenwich...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

I am thinking of traveling to Wildwood (from NY) with my husband and 8 month old son. I have been to Seaside Heights, NJ in the past and the boardwalk/ beach was not exactly 'nice'. Kind of dirty and filled with 'undesireables'. Wondering if anyone has experienced both places and can tell me if Wildwood is different than Seaside Heights in that respect.

Flemington, NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Wildwood is a great place for families! I have been taking my family there for 25 years! Stay in Wildwood Crest, not Wildwood -- the beach is nicer in the Crest. IMO, Wildwood is much nice than Seaside (I have been there many times also).

Old Greenwich...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Thanks so much for your response. We already booked a motel in Wildwood (not the Crest) so hopefully it won't be too bad. What makes the Crest nicer? Is it just location (quieter) and how far is it from Wildwood? I am glad you thought that it was nicer than Seaside Heights. Last time I went there was in my 20's (I'm now 35) and all I cared about at the time was the club/bar scene. Glad that Wildwood is a bit different! I had always heard it was more 'family-friendly'.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Wildwood is a fnatastic place for families. You'll enjoy it. Be sure to get in the ocean. I just returned from LBI (Long Beach Island) and I couldn't believe how beautiful the water was. Seaside heights is nothing like Wildwood. WARNING...be sure not to speed between exit 100 and exit 82 on the GSParkway. In April 2008 the speed limit was lowered to 55mph and they speed trap from the air.

Old Greenwich...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Thanks so much Smooth101! I will definitely be careful while driving!!

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Wildwood is fine for families.

I agree with a prior post about staying in Wildwood Crest or even North Wildwood. Both towns are more quiet than Wildwood city. As with many boardwalks, the Wildwood boardwalk can sometimes draw a rougher crowd, but it is safe, great for people watching, walking, and plenty of amusements.

All Wildwood beaches are free and the best in New Jersey.

Old Greenwich...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

Thanks again to everyone for all their great advice!

Hopefully I will have good news to report upon my return.

Old Greenwich...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

We just returned from Wildwood and I must agree with everyone's advice. Wildwood Crest definitely seemed nicer and 'quieter' and I would probably stay there if I return again. Also, Wildwood's boardwalk is most certainly better (and triple the size!) of Seaside Heights boardwalk. It's also more 'family friendly', as I would say that 99% of adults were with children in strollers. I only stayed 2 days and was not able to enjoy the HUGE beach, as we did the boardwalk one day and Cape May the next. We didn't feel like lugging all our stuff and our 8 month old son! I have never seen such a huge distance between the sand and the water in my life!

One side note: we greatly enjoyed Cape May and would consider staying there and then just driving to the 'madness' of Wildwood - its only a short 5-10 min drive. We loved the quaint charm and B and B's.

Thanks again to everyone for all their advice!

8. Re: Is Wildwood a clean, safe place for families?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 07, 2009