We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

South Carolina
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

I have the option of staying at the Embassy Suites Secaucus at a wonderful employee rate of $39 per night.

I also could stay at the Embassy Suites New York, located near the WTC site & Battery Park, on North End for $229 per night.

I'm going with husband and 19 month old son, and we're going to be spending most of our time doing the big tourist attractions (double decker tour bus, statue of liberty, empire state, rockefeller center, times square, etc). And I should mention that we prefer a suite-style hotel so we can keep baby sleeping in his own room! And the ES in NYC is the best deal we could find on a suite style hotel (*unless someone has something else to share!* :)

So, anyway, I wanted to ask everyone here: do you think it's worth it paying the additional $190 per night (we can afford it, but if it's not worth it, would much rather use our vacation budget for dining/shopping)? I've heard that the Secaucus ES has a bus stop right across the street, which takes 20 minutes during light traffic to get to Port Authority and costs $5 round trip. From Port Authority, is it confusing/timely/costly to get around to the attractions?

I've also heard that the ES in NYC is not exactly in the middle of everything, but only a 5-10 min walk from subway? Seems that would be easier than waiting for a bus and then going on a sub, but would we still spend less time in transit if we stay in NYC? Just asking to see if it's worth it spending SO much additional $$ on a hotel, would the added convenience justify it? Keep in mind the 19 month old and the need to go back to hotel room for naps, rests, etc....Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Embassy Suites by Hilton Secaucus - Meadowlands
Embassy Suites by Hilton...
1,521 Reviews
Secaucus, NJ
Battery Park
Battery Park
2,255 Reviews
New York City, NY
Secaucus
Secaucus
New Jersey
Starkville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

coffeeaddict; it sounds to me you would do just as well to stay in Secaucus NJ. I have stayed at the ES on North End and it is a beautiful place to stay, but there is just as much traveling to do to get to the heart of the city, times square and such.

If you get some significant discount it would be worth your while to stay at the Doubltree in Times Square, as this too is a two room suite, located in the center of everything. If you could stay at the doubletree times square for $ 200.00 or so, it would be well worth the price for the convience.

Any of these place,ES Secaucus, ES Noth End. or Doubletree times square will be great places to stay. My favorite is the Doubletree.tree Suites Times Square.

Mentioned in this post
Secaucus
Secaucus
New Jersey
Times Square
Times Square
44,180 Reviews
New York City, NY
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

Assuming you're talking about traveling during the week, as long as you take the bus into NYC at or after 9:30 am your commute will be fine (I commute in via bus every day). On weekends, traffic should be OK most times of the day. The bus will take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) which is very safe and very conveniently located to Times Square, restaurants, subways, etc. Be sure to bring a stroller because there's a lot of walking to be done.

Coming back for a mid-day rest will be your issue as busses may only travel hourly (call the hotel and ask which NJ Transit bus you would take, then check the schedule here http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusSchedulesTo). This is really the biggest issue with traveling into NYC by bus.

Also, returning to NJ any time after 4:30 or 5:00 will most likely double your commute time. Furthermore, since you'll be hitting the afternoon rush (weekdays, I mean) there could be long lines and you may need to skip the first bus that comes to make sure you and your family will be able to sit together.

Take a look at the NYC Family Travel section at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-… for some good advice about playgrounds -- I esp recomment the one at Madison Square Park (23rd & B'way). My kids are now 12 and 10 but when they were that little, playgrounds saved our sanity on family trips!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,180 Reviews
New York City, NY
Madison Square Park
Madison Square Park
567 Reviews
New York City, NY
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

Go with the ESsNJ @ 39 and take the 5 minute ferry over to the city.

4. Re: embassy suites secaucus or manhattan- WITH a 19 month old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 09, 2009