We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for good beach time

Which Point Pleasant Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for good beach time

We are visiting Philly in June for one week and will be staying in Mt. Laurel. We would like to make a daytrip to one of the beaches and boardwalks in New Jersey but after doing some reading it seems there is a fee to get into the beaches. Am I reading that correctly?

I will be with a 2 year old and 4 year old so I am not looking for amusement park rides, entertainment, etc - we just want to spend a few hours playing in the sand and in the water.

Can anyone recommend where I can go thats within about 1 hr from Mt. Laurel?

Thanks!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,379 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for good beach time

Most NJ Shore towns have beachtags. The ones that don't are listed here …wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_tag#New_Jersey_mun… In June, the ocean temps are usually still chilly for getting in. But. You may like Strathmere for a free beach, no boardwalk, a waterfront restaurant on the bay http://www.deauvilleinn.com/ And, and this is my favorite, it's breeding season for Black Skimmers conservewildlifenj.org/species/… and on Corson's Inlet, there is a bay beach park with a protected breeding ground for Black Skimmers. These birds are aggressive if you get near the breeding grounds. And they sound like you're walking through a 10'x10' room full of doggie squeaky toys. But they're amazing birds when they feed …nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photo…

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,690 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for good beach time

If you are visiting Philadelphia, it is best to stay in Philadelphia. The difference in hotel rate is more than made up for by the need for a rental car (you do not need or want a car in Philadelphia), parking, tolls, etc. In addition, you lose the convenience of being able to stop back in your hotel room if one of the kids needs a rest. You also lose out on the commuting time, and the pleasure of staying close to attractions and restaurants.

3. Re: Looking for good beach time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, July 15, 2016