We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

LA
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

My job was moved to White Plains and my husband has an opportunity in Parsippany. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great place to live that make our commune not too bad? Or is the best bet Parsippany? We currently live in Los Angeles and have no kids.

What would be a good neighbourhood to live in Parsippany if we buy a property there that is under $700K?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

I'd find a place somewhere in between otherwise you are going to have a heck of a commute to White Plains across the Tappan Zee Bridge or the George Washington Bridge.

You'll want to investigate whether it is cheaper to live in NJ or NY.

North Jersey
Level Contributor
665 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

Live in Northern Bergen County. You can still get homes for under $700,000 here and they will be nice. I would recommend my area, including these towns: Hillsdale, Park Ridge, Woodcliff Lake, Montvale, Westwood, Ridgewood, Washington Township, River Vale, Old Tappan.

The commute for each of you from here will be about the same. White Plains is probably a little closer to here, but with the Tappan Zee bridge crossing that is necessary to commute there, the commute will probably take a little longer. The commute from here to Parsippany is about 45 minutes, and to White plains closer to an hour - both estimates are WITH rush hour traffic, barring accidents, etc. With no traffic, parsippany is still upwards of 40 minutes, but White Plains is just over 30 minutes away.

We have easy access to major highways (n/s and e/w) and we have easy access to NYC via the GW Bridge. Beautiful neighborhoods and great schools. Great shopping in Paramus is 10 minutes away at the most. Good shops and restaurants within Hillsdale and neighboring westwood and other towns, as well. Mass transit to NYC also, not that you'll need it though.

I'm from Park Ridge, myself, but I always recommend Hillsdale to people, because I think it might be slightly less expensive but it's a very cute town with a lot to offer.

If you have ever seen the television show "Ed" (not on anymore), it was supposed to be set in a beautiful little town in Ohio somewhere. Well, they filmed it all in Hillsdale as well as some of the other towns I listed above. But the main town in "Ed" was actually Hillsdale, with the beautiful park that has the hanging planters full of flowers, the gazebo, the train station, and a block back from the main street (with all the shops) and that park are several blocks of beautiful old Victorian homes. None are very big, but all a nice size, on smaller size lots, but plenty of room. But Hillsdale has much more housing to offer than those - check it out, it's a beautiful place to live.

Good luck!

LA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

Thank you so much for really helpful info and suggestions! You guys are awesome! We are going to stay in woodcliff lake next weekend to check out the towns you mentioned.

Thanks a lot!

4. Re: Where to live between Parsippany and White Plains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 24, 2009