We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

We will be vacationing in OC July 9th for a week. We have never been to the Jersey Shore. We are looking for a beachfront house to rent. What area should we look for and what area should we avoid. From some of the pictures I have seen, some of the beachfront houses seem pretty far from the ocean. The closer the house is to the ocean the better. It's for 4 adults and 3 pre-teen kids

Budd Lake, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

I'm sorry, missed the part that you were looking to rent in OC. Disregard my last post about Long Beach Island.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

OC is a wonderful family vacation place. All neighborhoods are good. The Gardens, the north part of OC, is very quiet and ahs good beach but you cna still walk to the baordwalk. The area just south of where the boardwalk ends (maybe 16th-21st streets) would also be great locations. You definitely want to find a place now - my uncle owns a house there and it's been rented for months already.

Pcean City, NJ
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

You can't miss with Ocean City. I've been summering there since 1955, our family has loved every summer since our 22 year old was 8 months old. It's a part of our Family's Life and will always be a part of our life.

I'd check out one of the quiet streets on the north end of town (look at the name streets). There you find short tree lined streets leading to great beaches. The boardwalk is there but no businesses and the amusement areas are just 7 blocks or so to the south - easily accessible for adults and kids alike. You can part the car and walk to everything including restaurants!

A house within a half a block of the beach should cost you between 2 and 3K in July.

Wherever you stay, have a great vacation!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

THanks for all your info!! We found a rental at about 45th Street and Central. Are there any good restaurants within walking distance from there?

Pcean City, NJ
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

Until we bought down on Pennlyn Place this year, we spent several summers on Asbury @ 50 ST. The South End is a great quiet area but there is little commercial property once you get south of 36th street. There is a restaurant on 40th & West (I believe its Manga by the Bay) and a "Sac o Subs" location on 55 ST and Central (you need to try that for great Jersey Shore subs!) and a few ice cream/grill places along 55 ST, but other than that nothing within walking distance.

You will find that the area from 32 ST to 36 ST on Asbury and West and along 36th street is the commercial area for the south end of town.

We love the south end of town, but the one downside is that you really need to drive to everywhere but the beach.

Hope you enjoy your Ocean City vacation and this is the first of many visits to a great Jersey Shore town!

Western...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: From AZ, going to Ocean City for 1st time-need help on area

bump