We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate routes to Ocean City, NJ

Syracuse
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alternate routes to Ocean City, NJ

I am travelling from Syracuse, NY and wondering if there is any routes that would keep me from hitting all the Philadelphia traffic when I am going to Ocean City, NJ? I don't like the heavy traffic in Philly or NYC area and would rather avoid that. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. J

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternate routes to Ocean City, NJ

The key is to go early - try to arrive in OCNJ before 10. Here is a prior posting on that topic - good info on all 3 pages:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g46696-i373-k11075…

The main suggestion was to stay overnight at a hotel Friday night, if you can do that, somewhere within 2 hours of Ocean City. Then leave at 7 am and get to Ocean City by 9 am. You will not hit traffic at that time - even in mid-summer. That will also give you an entire extra vacation day in Ocean City. You can enjoy all day Saturday at the beach instead of driving and sitting in traffic.

When you arrive you can have breakfast, ride bikes on the boardwalk, and go to the beach. Then check in to your rental at 2. You will need to pack the beach stuff so it is handy and keep food in coolers until you can unpack at 2.

During the heavy traffic periods, it is always a good idea to go through Somers Point and over the Longport bridge to avoid the traffic on the 9th St bridge. The 9th St bridge traffic is much better now that they completed construction, but during peak traffic time you can avoid all the traffic by going over the Longport bridge. There are 2 bridges - one from Somers Point to Longport, and then turn right and go over another bridge from Longport to the north end of Ocean City. You will see these two bridges if you search on Google Maps for Longport, NJ.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternate routes to Ocean City, NJ

From Scranton 380S to 80E to 33S to 78E to 287S to GSP (S) avoids philly and most of NY but still you must avoid rush hour in NJ.

You can also take the Pa turnpike E into NJ and take 206S to 30E and some back roads to OC

there are some other senic meanders through the pines if you study a map

3. Re: Alternate routes to Ocean City, NJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 21, 2013